Author Topic: My First Horn  (Read 3724 times)

LURCHWV@BJS

My First Horn
« on: December 17, 2010, 05:14:09 AM »
  In a Horn building class by Tim Crosby I was told when rifles were built they were usaully accompanied with a horn and bag.  The Bag I had.  The horn I wanted to build.  I bought a couple of horns at Dixon's.  This is my first attempt.

1.photobucket.com/albums/qq137/CHAPPLEJR/100_0878.jpg[/IMG]

I don't know what ya will think of it... I like it

Rich
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 07:36:12 PM by LURCHWV@BJS »

Offline wattlebuster

Re: Horn of Frankenstien/// My First Horn
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 05:23:44 AM »
Looks great to me . I wish mine looked that good.
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »
    NOT BAD, not bad at all. Looks like you found your calling in the world of BP    Good Luck    AL
Alan K. Merrill

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 04:11:51 PM »
 Looks like a good start Rich.

Tim C.

Leatherbelly

Re: My First Horn
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 01:39:38 AM »
 Lurch,
  I am not blessed with many power tools so I use the hand tools that I have. It takes me months to turn out a decent horn. A raw horn is quite a big challenge for me. Lots of rasping  and more rasping,then filing filing, then scraping,engrailing, then sanding shaping,filing shaping sanding scraping.
   Then, if the said horn has a nice white barrel, you might want to do the scrim on it.Yet another pile of hard work (at least for me).Planning, executing,etc...
  Just like rifle building, you want to do your research, plan your horns shape and architecture, and then have at it.
  My hat is off to the gents on here who can "knock one off" in a few days! Holy Canoly" as Roger would say! Take a look at Tim Crosby's work, or Seesbird's work. These guys are real artisans, something that took a long time for them to get good at.
  Lurch,go get another raw horn and try again.Chock this first one up for exactly what it is,a first horn. You will do better. Take your time,man!

ps, if you need a horn fast, buy one off John Shorb. Decent horns, quite reasonable.
I think his link is  powderhornsandmore. google it.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 02:09:53 AM by Leatherbelly »