Author Topic: shoulder stock ideas...  (Read 3977 times)

Offline elk killer

shoulder stock ideas...
« on: October 03, 2008, 07:10:40 PM »
im building,a .45 ca.pistol thats going to have a detachable shoulder stock,,whats the best method of attaching the shoulder stock for easy removale,,and attachment?..i saw one in some magazine a few years ago,,but dont remember which one
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: shoulder stock ideas...
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 07:12:40 PM »
Cruise the auction sites or gunbroker for ideas.

Is this a cap and ball revolver or a flint pistol?
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline elk killer

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 07:13:59 PM »
flintlock,,from a blank with a swamped octagon to round barrel,,,going to have double sett triggers as well

keweenaw

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 08:16:03 PM »
A way that I've seen is to have a plate on the back of the grip with a matching plate on the front of the stock. There is a screw which goes up through the stock at an angle to engage in a threaded portion of the grip plate. 

On a pistol you will be much happier and have a much nicer looking piece if you use a single set trigger.

May I ask why in the world you want to do this?

Tom

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 09:18:59 PM »
EK,

On 'some' of the Billinghurst style of target pistols and Buggy guns. the should stock is attached by a taper pin arrangement.  there are some wire,
skeletal versions, that has a taper pin at its front end.. and there is a matching tapered socket in the grip.  you just push/twist them together and they hold.. reverse the twist and it all comes apart..

Others, have a matching metal dovetail assembly( female/male)  and a screw lock that holds it together..  Acer's suggestion to web search the gun auction houses,, was a good one!  < That's where I had seen most of the ones that I considered,, while building my Billinghurst UH Pistol .  >

Respect Always
Metalshaper

Offline elk killer

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 04:02:44 AM »
snyder...
the reason is,,,its something different to stay challenged,,the one i saw,,was in muzzleloader magazine 2003 the nov dec issue,,it was made by mike rowe and steve davis,,i have a swamped octagon to round,, 16 inch,, fast twist pistol barrel..i want it to have double sett triggers and all hand forged mounts of iron..plus i hate single sett triggers,,and your very correct ,,it would be a whole bunch easier,,,i want to have some sort of old time adjustable sights,,and i want to do a bunch of tests,,to see just how far it will be accurate,,this will be a cased sett,,for sunday afternoon,,shade tree sessions..nuthing formal..and of course round balls only

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 03:57:45 PM »
beer cans at 50 yds?

Sounds like a neat project. I can appreciate the long barrel/fast twist cased set concept. I have some books on the NYS gunmakers....I will pore over them looking for ideas.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Sean

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 04:13:39 PM »
I remember that Rowe/Davis gun.  It was slick.  Your gun should be a fun critter.

Sean