Author Topic: First job by david Keck  (Read 11214 times)

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
First job by david Keck
« on: December 24, 2010, 02:51:00 AM »
Just received two stocks from David Keck and they couldn't have been better.  He inlet the barrels and pre shapped them from the lock pannels back to the butt  plate, using my patterns.   I must admit that I was a bit apprehensive about using someone other than Fred Miller, but I am more than satisfied.

These two rifles are for my two grand daughters that have out grown there first rifles that I built for them twelve and fourteen years ago , when they were just born.  They have been shooting compitition for the last four years and are doing very will, both winning medals at the  nationals this past year.  This  will be two very special rifles for two very special young ladies.  I will post the pictures when they are are finished.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: First job by david Keck
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 02:54:27 AM »
Great news on two counts David...so great to hear from you again, and with superlative news.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 04:24:36 AM »
I am sure everyone that has seen your past work will be looking forward to the pictures of the two rifles. Its nice to know that Fred has a very qualified replacement even though every one knew that Dave would do a great job.   Happy Holidays,    Gary

SPG

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 04:58:04 AM »
David,

I'm curious as I'm considering ordering a stock from Mr. Keck. Are the ramrod holes drilled and, if so, are they milled out in the barrel channel? I have seen some pre-shaped stocks that have the hole milled along the bottom of the barrel channel and would prefer that they weren't. Thank you for your time.

Steve

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 06:18:37 AM »
It is always very nice to get recommendations on the work of others!

Holiday greetings from Afghanistan!
Here is wishing you all the very Merriest of Christmas, and the Happiest of New Years!

Happy Holidays!
Best Regards,
Albert A Rasch
Albert A Rasch In Afghanistan

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 06:33:40 AM »
God Bless you Rasch.  Take care of yourself.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline whitebear

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 07:32:36 AM »
I have had stocks like that and used this method.  After the thimbles are inlet and pinned in coat the ramrod with a good release agent, I use a thin coat of vaseline
insert the ramrod and check for the release agent being rubbed off.  Mix up two containers of epoxy glue and fill the routed channel with epoxy, let set until very tacky and remove ramrod.  This will fill the routing and seal the wood.

David,

I'm curious as I'm considering ordering a stock from Mr. Keck. Are the ramrod holes drilled and, if so, are they milled out in the barrel channel? I have seen some pre-shaped stocks that have the hole milled along the bottom of the barrel channel and would prefer that they weren't. Thank you for your time.

Steve
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Knob Mountain

• Knob Mountain Muzzleloading
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 01:22:10 PM »
David Price,  Thanks for the kind words. I understand that even though many of Freds customers know me they are still apprehensive about the change. Your recommendation is much appreciated.  I can't wait to see the finished guns

SPG,  I drill the ram rod hole from the entry pipe to the breech.  The channel is milled from the muzzle to the entry pipe.

Merry Christmas to everyone!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 01:34:40 PM by Knob Mountain »
Dave Keck  Knob Mountain Muzzleloading Berwick, PA

Offline satwel

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 05:38:08 PM »
I purchased a JP Beck stock and B weight .50 barrel combo from Mr. Keck last year. The barrel channel to barrel fit was first rate. Stock was shaped from lock panels back. The ramrod hole was drilled from the inlet pipe back to the breach, not milled out. I also bought the appropriate TG, buttplate, sideplate, and RR thimbles from him. I was very pleased with overall quality and fit. Orders were easy to place and quick to deliver. I will continue to give him my custom.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2010, 10:15:52 AM »
I've had Dave do several stocks for me, and they've all been great.  I'm thankful that someone like Dave has the interest.  Plus, he now has all of Fred's patterns so there's more to choose from.  Dave's great to do business with.  He also has some really nice brass furniture...

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 12:24:08 AM »
I recently had a blank drilled and the barrel inlet by Dave. Beautiful job.  I would say he and Dave Rase both do the lob as well as it can be done!!  I haven't built one of his kits but I have looked them over and they are very well done.  His brass castings are soft and crisp and I think the sizing is pretty accurate as well. He did not route through the barrel channel into the RR hole. He drilled it perfectly!!  5/16 inch
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 12:25:54 AM by DrTimBoone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 07:38:09 PM »
We've had Dave do a few stocks for one of our German customers and both he, and us, were very pleased!  Great work, good turn around time, and nice customer service - hard to beat that.
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 01:00:10 AM »
Hey David,

Glad to hear the stock turned out so well for you.  I have been checking out David Keck's website with great lust in my heart so your comments are helpful. 

I do have a question though.  I have heard a lot of folks say for precarves that about 1/8 inch of wood still needs to come off for the right shape and feel.  In your estimation is that the case with Keck's stock you recieved?

Take care

Coryjoe

Offline alex e.

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 02:25:37 AM »
Not all pre carves are created equal.It varies.Be ware the term 'pre carve'& "profile'.
The latter is basically the shape from the lock panels rearward,Ones from Dave have a little extra meat on them,I believe he does do some 'pre carving': inletted for buttplate,lock,etc. but I'm  not surer as to what extrent7 patterns he can use. Its best to call.
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

billd

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 02:33:36 AM »
I'm doing an Issiac Haines now. It's the first one he carved from Fred's repaired pattern.  Looks to be about 3/32 heavy, very uniform.   You can control how much wood is left on just by adjusting the machine setting, within reason.   I'd never ask for or expect less then 1/16 from any duplicating machine.  I like 3/32 or more, room for a chip coming out of the wood or slight errors and dings from assembly.  Remember, they are wood working machines, not precision CNC mills.

Bill

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2011, 05:28:20 PM »
coryjoe,

It depends on whose pattern is used .  In my case Dave Keck used my pattern which is very close to a finished product from the lock panels back, including the but plate.  I do not have him cut the lock mortise, and the front end is just square and large enough to get the wood needed for a sliding wood patch box.  That I just slab of with my band saw.

I will have both rifles completely assembled by the end of the day today except for the sights and touch hole.  I started on them the day before Christmas, four hours on Christmas day, and eight or nine hours each day since.  Today I will only work about six hours.

I hope that everyone has a happy new year.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2011, 09:01:42 PM »
Thanks David

Coryjoe

cheyenne

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 11:18:51 PM »
My buddy just got a walnut blank he sent to Dave with a 46" .77 SB barrel to be inlet & RR groove drilled. Workmanship is first rate. I would not hesitate to send work to Dave.

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 03:56:37 AM »
All I can say is "Thanks,Dave!"With all the patterns you now have, I'll never be able to choose the next pattern for my next build,I'd like one of each please.
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Offline flint45

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 06:03:54 PM »
I ordered a stock and parts set from Dave,and couldn't have been happier.His customer service,and willingness to talk with me about building a rifle set him apart from many.This is only my second rifle build,so that means alot.