Author Topic: horn project  (Read 6291 times)

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
horn project
« on: October 03, 2008, 09:29:48 PM »
Here is are photos of three horns that I have been working on.  The first pic was earlier in the summer as I roughed out the spouts.  The one attached to the bag went on the woodswalk at Friendship this fall. The other two were finished up last night. They have slightly domed cherry and maple plugs. I used eight walnut pins. The staples are cold-forged with a twist in the square wire. I had planned to do a turned plug with a threaded fill hole and didn't get that done. I'll save that idea for a future horn.

At this point none of the horns have a aging dye job. I tried a mix on one but it was too yellow. I plan to leave the horns as is until I get back from the Conner Prairie horn class with Art DeCamp. I hope to come back with ideas for the dye and also for scrimshaw. A decision about scrim will be made when I finish Art's class and see what confidence I have in what I learned.

Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: horn project
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 09:46:01 PM »
 Wow Larry they look good, nice job. I will see you in class.

Tim C.

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 12:11:23 AM »
Larry,

You did good.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

nthe10ring

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 04:24:23 AM »
Nice looking horns. Good job. Looking forward to what you come up with after you get back from your class all fired up with new knowledge and inspiration.

Regards
Jerry Fisher

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 07:05:38 AM »
Great looking  horns Larry.  Very nice indeed.  Keep up the good work and good luck with your next class. 
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline elk killer

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 04:18:30 PM »
very nice..!!
only flintlocks remain interesting..

wwpete52

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 08:16:29 PM »
Great work! Have you ever used a product called "Old Bones" to age a horn.  Track of the Wolf has it.

wwpete52

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 08:18:32 PM »
By the way, that's a nice looking hunting pouch. Is that one of "The Leatherman" pouches?

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 02:27:04 PM »
Yes, ot is one of Leatherman's pouches.  It is one of the smaller ones. 
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 06:47:53 AM »
I mentioned earlier that I wanted to wait to dye my horns until I came back from Art DeCamp's horn class.  As it turned out, Art used my horn as an example of the process he uses to dye his horns.  The color turned out very nice.  Rather than try to describe the color, here are two photos.  One is with flash and one without.

The first probably is the truer color.  Trying to accurately show color shades is my weakness with a camera rather than the real shade of the horn.  I hope you get the idea.

Art, Thank you for the class and for your help with my horn!
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

California Kid

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 08:22:03 AM »
Larry- check to see if your digital camera has a setting for white balance. Florecent , incandescent , and daylight all have different color temperatures, measured in degrees Kelvin. Flash and daylight are about the same. Mixed lighting sources is where you are getting in trouble.
 Film is the same way. Did you ever shoot Ektachrome film indoors and notice that the color doesn't look right? Its color or white balance is for daylight or about 5500 degrees kelvin, if I remember correctly. That's why everything has a green cast.