Author Topic: American Double Flint Shotgun  (Read 4633 times)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: American Double Flint Shotgun
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 02:07:53 AM »
Thank you for bringing this one to the attention of the Forum, Dan. It is Americano, all right
and has the best of everything. Beautiful fowler! This is the first double barrel shotgun that was made in the US that I can believe in. The maple stock pretty well cinches it. Most shotguns purported to be American made usually have stocking in European woods or black walnut; too many have foreign proofed barrels even though they may have local addresses on the gun, suggesting an import situation. Thanks again, hope that you buy this beauty.
Best-Dick

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 02:08:02 AM »
Thanks for posting that Dan.  With all this decent interest in double flint pelters, seeing an original American gun is such a gift.  And you can clearly see that he read Bill Brockway's book!!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 02:46:53 AM »
Thanks for posting that Dan.  With all this decent interest in double flint pelters, seeing an original American gun is such a gift.  And you can clearly see that he read Bill Brockway's book!!

I was looking for Manton stuff to drool over and found this which I though was a super find.
I am not much a of a shotgun guy but this kinda gets me going. It is stocked in Curly Maple  after all ;D
Dan

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 03:11:15 AM »
I don't believe it was too uncommon for later English flint doubles to be stocked in curly maple.  Are there other details that point to it being made in America?  I don't know a great deal about this period of English guns.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 04:01:34 AM »
Thank you for bringing this one to the attention of the Forum, Dan. It is Americano, all right
and has the best of everything. Beautiful fowler! This is the first double barrel shotgun that was made in the US that I can believe in. The maple stock pretty well cinches it. Most shotguns purported to be American made usually have stocking in European woods or black walnut; too many have foreign proofed barrels even though they may have local addresses on the gun, suggesting an import situation. Thanks again, hope that you buy this beauty.
Best-Dick

Its out of my league price wise.

Dan

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
While it is too difficult for me to compare the photos with the original that I do not have in hand....working on memory alone....I have seen an original SXS in 16ga that was made in New York City in 1810 that is very close to this piece. David Dodds owned it, and it is now with his wife's sons in Tennessee. It was on display at the table set up at the CLA last August in memory of Dave, and my 16ga SXS duplicated from it by Dave was also on the table. Unfortunately I'm not technically capable of photographing mine and posting photos for comparison, but everything appears to be very close excepting the engraving which, on mine, was exactly duplicated by Ron Ehlert before he, too, died  :(

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 10:35:40 AM »
Both John and brother Joseph Manton stocked some of their guns in birds eye maple , Joseph more so than John .I have restored several sxs guns by the Mantons with this type of stock.
Feltwad

westbj2

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 03:11:45 PM »
Feltwad,
Interesting that you mention Mantons and birds eye maple.  While reading the posts above, I recalled a 16ga single rifle that I once owned by Joe Manton.  It had a barrel by Thomas Fullerd and was stocked in birds eye maple.
Jim