Author Topic: Walhalla SC barn found Jacob Snyder, Bedford rifle  (Read 5357 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Walhalla SC barn found Jacob Snyder, Bedford rifle
« on: December 27, 2010, 01:10:18 AM »

42 1/2 13/16ths inch barrel

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

g rummell

Re: Walhalla SC barn found Jacob Snyder, Bedford rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 02:14:57 AM »
Awesome rifle.
There's a special place in my heart for these Bedford County Rifles.

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 02:17:26 AM »
My mother was born in Walhalla - somehow just not the terrain or countryside I'd have expected a Bedford rifle to turn up.

I don't suppose the barn used to belong to any Robins, Crisp or Hamby's did it? 

SCL

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 04:33:48 AM »
I apologize, but I don't know the details.  Email me and I can forward to
the owner if you want specifics on it's origin.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 09:53:25 AM »
Great discovery and darn nice of you to bring it to the assembled multitude; thank you! This is just a great 'as found' rifle and we all hope it stays that way. Snyder was a very 'unBedford' Bedford' maker varying his architectural styles, patchbox designs and inlays. He preferred the hardware store lock over the traditional Bedford look. Sometimes his work appears to be more of Cambria than Bedford. In any event this is just a dandy rifle and I hope that it makes it to the Library. Thank you, Rob.
Regards-Dick

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 10:00:39 AM »
Fortunate it was found before barn fell in on it or burnt.
As previously stated
It needs to be in the library.
A few more photos of course ;D
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 05:13:13 PM »
The barn was on the William Duncan farm.  The gun was discovered as
they cleared the barn to take it down.

Tizzy

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 07:08:29 PM »
I live only about 20 minutes from Walhalla. I wonder how a Bedford rifle wandered all the way down here. If the rifle could only speak...........

Bob Smalser

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 05:43:02 AM »
... I wonder how a Bedford rifle wandered all the way down here....

When I went to Clemson in the 1960's there was an old-timer in Pendleton not far away who owned the downtown hardware store.  It was where we went to look at fine guns, Civil War relics and the like.  He had hundreds of old guns in there of all vintages from all over.  I was more interested in trading a M12 trap gun for one of his (several) Parker doubles at the time, but I remember at least a couple racks of long rifles.  As I recall, he held his stuff dear, didn't move a lot of stock, and I settled for an LC Smith.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 05:47:52 AM by Bob Smalser »