Author Topic: Austin and Halleck locks  (Read 4312 times)

J.D.

Austin and Halleck locks
« on: October 04, 2008, 03:57:47 AM »
An acquaintance has contacted me to work on a lock from of an Austin and Halleck rifle. Does anyone know who made the locks on these guns? The internals on most, if not all foreign made locks are case hardened, as are the frizzens, but not so with American made locks. So, to case harden, or heat treat as high carbon alloy steel?

Thanks,
J.D.

Offline Dan'l 1946

Re: Austin and Halleck locks
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 08:24:26 AM »
I'm pretty sure some of the A&H locks were made by Ardesa--Spanish in other words.

J.D.

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 07:53:51 PM »
Thanks for that information. In searching the web, I found that Austin and Halleck used Spanish barrels, and suspected that they also used Spanish locks, but wasn't sure.

Thanks,
J.D.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 08:04:03 PM »
Perhaps Steve Chapman will see this thread and chime in.  He would know if anyone did as both he and Bill Rose were factory sponsored shooters for A&H.
Or, you can look him up in the member's list and send him an email.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

J.D.

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 08:36:03 PM »
Thanks, I'll do that.

Offline kentucky bucky

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 07:27:39 AM »
A friend of mine had one that never did spark worth a squat. He called the company and they did send him a new frizzen (supposedly drop in) and it didn't spark either. After fiddling with it and getting mad  for a month or so, he traded it off.

chapmans

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 02:53:42 AM »
J. D.,
       Austin  & Halleck Mt Rifles were made in Ardesa Spain by the same Co. that makes Traditions rifles, as a matter of fact Traditions is selling the very same rifle so you may be able to obtain parts from them.
   I have three Mt Rifles one is new, the other two we shoot in the off the shelf match at Friendship, they shoot well but I don't care much for the fit, they are percussion. Bill Rose has a flint and it sparks well. That's about all I know about them.
  Steve C.