Author Topic: Back to being a shooter!  (Read 2835 times)

frontier gander

Back to being a shooter!
« on: October 04, 2008, 04:28:55 AM »
A friend had sent me this 3 weeks ago to be redone as it was in poor condition.

I know, its only a CVA Hawken but the rifles are darn good shooters and look great when you have the right look on them!

I installed the rear sight yesterday so thats why its not browned ( Its browning now)

Rifle turned out really good and the LMF worked great as always. Couldn't get the lock to brown so i talked it over with the owner and we are going to let it age naturally. Triggers have been stripped down to bare metal too.

Also installed a new Drum as the nipple hole was stripped out in the original.

And now!

Shrooms make a  good rifle prop  :D

david50

Re: Back to being a shooter!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 08:46:41 AM »
it looks great! nice job.

Offline T*O*F

Re: Back to being a shooter!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 05:06:46 PM »
Couldn't get the lock to brown so i talked it over with the owner and we are going to let it age naturally.
The reason you couldn't get the lock to brown is that it is color case hardened, nor will it age naturally.  It's supposed to look like it does.

It is possible to sand it back with 220 grit paper and then brown it.  Likewise, you can hit it with Birchwood Casey Plum Brown which requires heat...if you like that color.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson