Author Topic: Rice Barrels  (Read 6435 times)

Kelhammer

Rice Barrels
« on: December 29, 2010, 12:55:26 AM »
I have a few Rice barrels, but being new to all this I have a question about the one I got in the mail today.  It is a .32 cal swamped at 44" long.  It appears to have already been draw filed.  Also the breech plug looks to be fully tightened, which the others I have were not, and the muzzle end of the barrel was buffed up with a polishing wheel?   

These things struck me as funny because all the other barrels I have gotten from them still showed all machining marks.  I do not remember them being polished down at all, and the breech plugs have always been loose.

Just wondered.

Andy

Offline Herb

Re: Rice Barrels
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 12:59:20 AM »
Call Rice with your questions.  The last half dozen or so I got from them had the breech plug fully tightened.  No need to take it out to check to see if it is fitted correctly, it is! 
Herb

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 01:20:28 AM »
They are now having a guy come in and clean up the barrels.  When they first got into the barrel biz all the barrels they sent out were like the one you described, but time constraints and lack of cheep labor cause them to quit draw filing them.  Now, it seems they have a couple guys who are once again willing to draw file for cheep and thus pretty barrels again.

As for the breech plug, first they breeched them and left them, so they were extremely tight and many folks could not get them out easily.  So I asked them to breech them and then back them out a couple turns to make it easier on you guys.  Well, they did that for a while but then guys couldn't get them back in all the way to match the witness marks and many just decided to file the plug off until it fit the flats.  Without thinking they then had a breech plug that wasn't fully seated - not good.  Once the barrel owners realized this they were having to ship their barrels back to have another breech plug installed.  So this last month or so it is my understanding that Rice is now breeching them, taking out the plug and then putting it back in several times before tightening them to mark.  The taking the plugs in and out will help get the sticking tendencies of the plug and hopefully then they can be shipped fully seated, and yet a bit more easy for the customer to remove and install again. 
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

billd

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 02:04:30 AM »
They have two different grades of barrels.  Usually the round bottom rifled barrels have a better finish on the outside.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 02:24:16 AM »
If you want a rough finished barrel, is that a special order now?

Thanks for your fine work Barbie, both on your products and inspiring others to bring up their standards. We all benefit from your labors.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 03:16:23 AM »
+1 and thanks to all our outstanding suppliers of quality parts.  Wishing you a prosperous and healthy New Year.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 03:23:31 AM »
I have a few Rice barrels, but being new to all this I have a question about the one I got in the mail today.  It is a .32 cal swamped at 44" long.  It appears to have already been draw filed.  Also the breech plug looks to be fully tightened, which the others I have were not, and the muzzle end of the barrel was buffed up with a polishing wheel?   

These things struck me as funny because all the other barrels I have gotten from them still showed all machining marks.  I do not remember them being polished down at all, and the breech plugs have always been loose.

Just wondered.

Andy
Nothing wrong with the barrel. I recently purchased the exact same barrel and it looked the same way. BTW it shoots as good as it looks!

Barbie I was under the impression that with the latest barrel profiling set-up that Rice went to, no draw filing was being done. I know I stopped by and picked one up a year or so ago and it was right off the profile machine. Looked great!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 08:39:09 PM »
Yeah, Dennis the machines did step it up, but I also know one of the guys that is draw filing some so, maybe it's only on the premium barrels?  I'm not sure of the what or why, but I do know the who and is.   ;D
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

Kelhammer

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 04:31:37 AM »
Thank you all for the input.   :)

Andy

dickert54cal

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 03:11:48 AM »
Im the proud owner of two of those Rice barrels in a 54 cal swamped and I think they produce a fine product!

eagle24

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 11:27:20 PM »
As for the breech plug, first they breeched them and left them, so they were extremely tight and many folks could not get them out easily.  So I asked them to breech them and then back them out a couple turns to make it easier on you guys.  Well, they did that for a while but then guys couldn't get them back in all the way to match the witness marks and many just decided to file the plug off until it fit the flats.

My first one came with the breech plug loose.  I tried to tighten it with a 10" wrench and nearly broke a rib trying to get it back to the witness mark.  Called Mr. Rice, he told me I needed a bigger wrench. :o  Amazing how much torque you can generate with a bigger wrench.  They are indeed tight.  Mine was very slick, but had not been draw filed.  I haven't paid attention to the one I am using on my current build.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 04:12:43 AM »
Here is a tip to install very tight plugs.  Turn the plug in so that it's maybe a quarter turn or so from being snug.  The idea is to have a little slack before it becomes tight.  Quickly pull on the wrench and snap it tight.  With just a little care you can tighten it right to the witness mark.  I always first just try to tighten in a normal fashion, but sometimes this method really helps out.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 04:26:19 AM »
Here is a tip to install very tight plugs.  Turn the plug in so that it's maybe a quarter turn or so from being snug.  The idea is to have a little slack before it becomes tight.  Quickly pull on the wrench and snap it tight.  With just a little care you can tighten it right to the witness mark.  I always first just try to tighten in a normal fashion, but sometimes this method really helps out.
What Jim said plus sometimes a big ol hammer on the wrench works wonders! I have a 2.5 inch cylinder of 440C stainless about 18" long laying on my workbench just under my barrel vise. My short handled cresent wrench works well with a whack with that chunk of steel ;D Just make sure the wrench jaws are well padded with brass or lead.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson