Author Topic: 1748 NY gunsmith's advertisement  (Read 3862 times)

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
1748 NY gunsmith's advertisement
« on: December 29, 2010, 01:22:45 AM »

Yesterday I ran across this 1748 advertisment for a NY gunsmith, Edward Annely, and thought some of you would find it interesting. We see so many modern collectors wringing their hands over whether guns were made of militia use or hunting that I found some of this reference right on topic --- and equally confusing to those who want simple answers.
Gary

A large assortment of Guns and Pistols All Tower proof; as also some Birding Pieces, with Bayonets in their but [sic] for Gentlemen's Use, and guns with bayonets either fit for Military Use or Fowling; long pieces for shooting Geese, Ducks, etc. The right sort of Indian Guns, with Gun Barrels and Locks of all Sorts: He likewise makes Guns and Pistols as any Gentleman shall like, and does all Things belonging to the Gun-Smith's Trade; and engraves Coats of Arms on Plate [probably meaning silver ware], etc.

"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: 1748 NY gunsmith's advertisement
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 07:20:29 AM »
This pretty well explains the "fowler with bayonet" thing.
Thanks. Things like this are always interesting.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 09:14:16 AM »
Thanks Gary,
The fowler with the bayonet intrigues me. I have seen one of these and it was very cool. I wonder if it was more for sticking a wounded animal more than for military use. Not that you would be using it for hunting boar here in the colonies at this time but it would seem like a good Idea to me to have that extra margin of protection. Something that closely resembles a spear will have a tendency to get peoples attention in a hurry.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 04:39:15 PM »
Sounds perfect for the sportsman who also needed to be ready for militia call up.
Andover, Vermont

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 06:41:37 PM »
Sounds perfect for the sportsman who also needed to be ready for militia call up.
Except Rich, the bayonet was only about 6-8" long.  Probably not very effective in a battle.  Neumann shows a nice club butt fowler made by E. Annely on page 153 of "Battle Weapons of the American Revolution". 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 09:46:01 PM »
Interesting on the bayonet length.  Maybe just having a bayonet was enough to get "counted" as having met all the militia requirements?  I would not want to use a 6-8" bayonet to finish off game.  Rather use the tomahawk, which I have found effective.
Andover, Vermont