Author Topic: New J.P.Beck found  (Read 26389 times)

Buckscoshooter

Re: New J.P.Beck found
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 06:42:47 AM »
Interesting read, and by all means thanks for sharing the auction story and  pics. Cheers,BucksCo.shooter

SPG

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 07:48:31 AM »
Gentlemen,

The "hacking" is all part of the gun's history. A great rifle and I would leave it just as it is, albeit a little cleanup and TLC.

I wonder if the opinion of the "hacking" would change if we knew it was done by an 16-year old Jacob Hawken?

Just my opinion,

Steve

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 01:57:56 AM »
Steve:  A "hack job" is a "hack job" no matter "who" did it.  Also I think that a 16 yr. old Jacob Hawken would have more gun making savvy than any of us on the ALR site. ;)
H.T.

vermont glenn

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2011, 01:32:32 AM »
So Gentlemen;

I'm not to familiar with these forum things but feel free to blast me if I'm not PC; I'm used to it having been married twice more than I shoulda. So I'm replying on this thread because it got me into registering and all that. I've got a J.P Beck. It's come down through the family moreorless the male primogeniture route.
Because of the aforementioned indenture of the householder variety, I kinda kept this piece under wraps, but it's in exactly the same condition it was on my grandfather's wall when I was a kid. A bit dirty, stock wired together for missing nose piece, pieces missing or broken here and there.
So I've had it stashed at a friend's house. He wear's one of those flintlock caps. When we finally got around to putting on his kitchen table for a close look see, he was able to identify the flint as some kind of "french amber" Well this was mainly an exercise for my son who displays an uncanny ability in comprehending old technologies, since when and if he has a son I suppose I get to pass it to him for the safe keeping.
So I would like to throw a few photos up so I can learn  from the many experts hanging around. But even more, I can tell you people really love these guns.
I won't apologize for the condition of the gun. All I know is it's BEAUTIFUL.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2011, 01:51:42 AM »
So Gentlemen;

I'm not to familiar with these forum things but feel free to blast me if I'm not PC; I'm used to it having been married twice more than I shoulda. So I'm replying on this thread because it got me into registering and all that. I've got a J.P Beck. It's come down through the family moreorless the male primogeniture route.
Because of the aforementioned indenture of the householder variety, I kinda kept this piece under wraps, but it's in exactly the same condition it was on my grandfather's wall when I was a kid. A bit dirty, stock wired together for missing nose piece, pieces missing or broken here and there.
So I've had it stashed at a friend's house. He wear's one of those flintlock caps. When we finally got around to putting on his kitchen table for a close look see, he was able to identify the flint as some kind of "french amber" Well this was mainly an exercise for my son who displays an uncanny ability in comprehending old technologies, since when and if he has a son I suppose I get to pass it to him for the safe keeping.
So I would like to throw a few photos up so I can learn  from the many experts hanging around. But even more, I can tell you people really love these guns.
I won't apologize for the condition of the gun. All I know is it's BEAUTIFUL.

As you might guess I would love to see some photos.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2011, 02:00:37 AM »
Vermont Glenn,
Yes, please do post some pictures! And it would be best if you post them in a new thread, and not at the end of this one.
If you have questions regarding posting pictures, just ask.
Looking forward to seeing your Beck!
John
John Robbins

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2011, 04:39:03 AM »
I would enjoy seeing the pictures as well, can't wait!

FK

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2011, 05:01:40 PM »
Love to have the pictures for the ALR Museum.
Hurricane

Offline Habu

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2011, 12:19:20 PM »
Thanks for posting the pics and story, Leatherman!  Not to be greedy (well, actually, I am being greedy!)--any more pics?  ;)
Jim

leatherman

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2011, 05:19:37 AM »
No I dont. Took these at the sale with my phone. This rifle has been restored and a proper lock has been installed. I hope it shows up at Lexington CLA show this month.