Author Topic: Interesting engraving developement  (Read 3385 times)

J.D.

Interesting engraving developement
« on: October 04, 2008, 08:30:54 PM »
In perusing the engraving forums I found that Ray Cover teaches basic engraving class within 20 minutes of my home. I also recently learned that the engraver for Browning lives about ten minutes away. Now ain't that a kick in the drawers?

I don't know if I'm ready to shell out $900 for a weeks instruction. Don't even know if a weeks instruction is enough to make a difference in my engraving.

http://rcoverengraving.com/

I knew Ray's father when I was dinking with custom knife making. To look at the old man, you wouldn't think he could walk and chew gun at the same time, but he is one heck of a talented knife maker, not to mention that he is a great guy. Ray jr. wasn't much more than a very talented punk kid at that time. That punk kid paid his way through college scrimming custom knives. Now he is a full time engraver, and probably scrimmer, in addition to teaching engraving.

Who woulda thunk it?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Interesting engraving developement
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 08:36:38 PM »
I would shell out the bucks in a heartbeat, if engraving is what you want to learn. Nothing like hands on instruction from a master. You will learn to get the results you want with one quarter of the effort and time. ANd also do things with the graver you never thought you could do.

Acer
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 05:30:28 PM »
I agree with Acer, $900 bucks is cheap for the weeks worth of instruction the you will receive. I have met Ray breifly and he seems like a great guy and I know that he is a talented engraver. I took the week long GRS course in 2007 and it has made a big difference for me.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

J.D.

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 01:44:00 AM »
Thanks guys. I appreciate your comments.

I am thinking about enrolling in Ray's class, but don't know if I can, or will recoup the expense associated with learning to engrave. That said, I keep thinking of Cody's comment that once expended, time is lost. Money can always be generated.

Thanks,
J.D.