Author Topic: musket ID  (Read 4000 times)

Mike R

musket ID
« on: February 21, 2011, 04:41:56 PM »
I obtained this gun from an antique shop in Arkansas.  The dealer thought it to be a ca. 1820 New England miltia musket.  It is a 12 bore musket with ~ 40" barrel. The lock, converted to percussion, is marked TAYLOR.  The gun has foreend damage, with the foreward rod pipe and nearby wood missing, but the rest of the gun is complete.  On the butt near at the rear of the guard is stamped neatly, "P. Blake"--possibly the man to which the gun was issued?  The barrel is marked only with a P proof mark.  I have only two pics at present [below].  Anyone have an opinion on this gun?  Age? origin?  

www.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/MikeTR/Wint2011005.jpg

www.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/MikeTR/Wint2011006.jpg
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 04:42:29 PM by Mike R »

Offline JV Puleo

Re: musket ID
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 05:34:51 PM »
Well, for once a dealer actually identified one of these correctly.
It would have been the private property of the man who carried it... likely that is the name. They weren't "issued" in the conventional sense.

Mike R

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 05:49:26 PM »
Thanks!

beast44k

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 03:27:33 PM »
It actually looks British, are there any stampings on the barrel, at the breech?
Do you have any other photos?
-Keith

Mike R

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 05:21:13 PM »
It actually looks British, are there any stampings on the barrel, at the breech?
-Keith

The only mark on the barrel is  P, which I understand is a US mark.  The lock is marked TAYLOR, which I think is an English maker; however such locks were imported into the US.  I have seen other New England muskets which look very similar--the sideplate is uncommonly ornate.

Offline TPH

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 05:21:46 PM »
-Keith

Not uncommon for the "New England Militia Muskets".  There are many of these around and they often bring to mind the Brown Bess, some even have surplus English military locks and barrels as well.
T.P. Hern

beast44k

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 11:23:28 PM »
I'm looking at the furniture, the turned barrel, and tear-drop in the wood behind the lock mortise, they appear to be British styling....the lock, not so much.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 11:24:29 PM by beast44k »

Offline TPH

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 12:01:11 AM »
Beast44k, you are right, in styling it is "British", but it is an American made gun made for sale to individuals in the militia. They are especially common to the Massachusetts militia, members of which were required to furnish weapons at their own expense. They were not state property and remained at home with the militiaman so were never disposed of or used up and lost in state service.
T.P. Hern