Author Topic: Raised Carved Rifle  (Read 8070 times)

Offline JCKelly

Raised Carved Rifle
« on: February 21, 2011, 04:50:40 AM »
Raised carved rifle at auction.

http://www.antiqueguns.com/auction/item.cgi?robles/robles-41640

Don't reckon I'll be bidding on it

Offline Fullstock longrifle

Re: Raised Carved Rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 06:57:46 AM »
Final bid was $22,575.00, now that was fun to watch!  And the winner got a pretty good deal at that.

FK

Offline debnal

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 07:34:55 AM »
Great gun for a great price. When this post started, it was going for a steal at $7850.00. Obviously worth a great deal more.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 05:20:21 PM »
I agree, not a Great deal, but a pretty good deal!
With the correct lock and a few other odds and ends, I can imigine someone offering/selling it for 5K more.

It's also nice to see a pretty good gun sell for a price up near its value!

John
John Robbins

Offline Tom Moore

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 05:55:30 PM »
Did anyone have any thoughts on who the maker was? -Tom

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 06:33:28 PM »
John Robbins

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 08:19:43 PM »
Initially I couldn't get all of the pictures to come up when I looked at the auction, but then I noticed a few days later that a picture of the barrel signature is shown.  It's signed F Sheetz, for Frederick Sheetz.  Gary nailed it.

FK

Offline nord

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 09:11:41 PM »

DEEDS / DEED ABSTRACTS
GOUnder Construction - no deeds yet

WARRANTS / PATENTS

Taken from the survey maps of the original warrants found in the Somerset County Courthouse.

SHEETZ Frederick
    No. C.D 111, 334 acres
    Order No. 2996 dated 8 Apr 1769, Survey: May 1770

[In northern part of Quemahoning Twp, by lands of Christian Blough, Jacob Gibler, Nathan Vickroy, Benjamin Hodgeland, Samuel Dougal, Rebecca Smith]
    GOSheetz plat

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pacquema/warrshee.jpg
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:15:46 PM by nord »
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

msmith

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 09:45:34 PM »
Nord, the Frederick Sheetz who made this rifle was born in 1771 or 1774 in Sheperdstown VA, now WV.Frederick bought land in Hampshire County Virginia in 1792 and stayed in Hampshire County ,died in 1861..Burried in what is now Mineral County WV.His father was Henry,born 1747 in PA d.1793 ,if I remember right Henrys father was also named Frederick,(Johan Friderich Sheetz or Shutz) B.1709 in Germany died 1760 in PA. do not believe Henrys father , Fredericks'Grandfather practiced the gunsmith trade...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:57:58 PM by msmit »

Offline nord

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 10:12:42 PM »
Sorry for the mistake... Shall I delete?
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline debnal

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 04:12:51 AM »
That gun will be worth a lot more than an extrz 5K more with the proper lock.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 05:53:03 PM »
 ;) I'm sure at some point we'll see just how much the 'new' value will be!

John
John Robbins

msmith

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 06:55:38 PM »
JTR, I seriously doubt it...I know the buyer and the rifle was not bought to turn a buck on..Unless you are a very young man I seriously doubt you will ever see it on the market again..I personaly think it is a great rifle and am happy that  it went directly to a collector & true lover of Virginia Guns. rather than to a wheeler dealer, who was just looking to make a few bucks..Not insulting those dealers,or profit makers, because they sometimes find collectors the guns they may not other wise ever know about...However they tend to drive the cost up, in my opinion..But that may be good for the investor type collector...Back to the rifle in discussion it soon will be back where it belongs, and I hope and pray that is where it is forever...

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 07:58:05 PM »
Have to agree with the last posting, but with a reservation, or two. In my opinion, the buyer paid way too much for a rifle having a considerable number of deficiences. However, it is a good gun by a seldom seen maker and one of his best, at that. So, glad that it went to a true believer who will do, (or not do) what he feels to be best for the piece. In that situation, over paying for something isn't a bad thing unless you can say that it drives the market up, which it does; big time. Since he intends to keep it, (a man after my own heart), the market will advance as it always does and at such time as it is sold, it will be profitable. I am guilty of doing that a a time or two and being chided for it. But, the last laugh is mine.
Dick

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 08:19:02 PM »
It's interesting how different people see this gun. I think it has a bit more value than the price paid, Debnal thinks it has a lot, and no gold thinks the price paid was too high. And I can see good arguements made either way.

If the buyer intends to keep it, I certainly see nothing wrong with that. Not all collectors are dealers or even simi-frequent sellers. I can count on one hand, and not even use a couple of fingers, the guns that no gold has sold in the 20 years that I've known him.

But I don't have problems with dealers either. If it wasn't for dealers I wouldn't own much of anything, and this rifle would have not been on the market.

Personally, I like this rifle. If it were mine I'd do the bit of work that it needs and enjoy it. Others, maybe the new owner included, will keep it as is, and enjoy it just as much.

All of us got to see pictures of it, and for that we're all a little better off.

John
John Robbins

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 09:52:28 PM »
I'd just like to add that I've really enjoyed watching this auction along with all of the side by side arm chair discussion! All of this education and entertainment and it didn't cost me a dime ;D. I must admit, I have a lot more to learn before I will find comfort out there....batting with the big boys.
Joel Hall

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 12:43:26 AM »
Some of us who buy and sell antique longrifles are not dealers --- I call myself a serial collector. Too poor to own more than one nice rifle at a time but someone who would rather have one reasonably good rifle than a case full of lesser guns.

I have had the pleasure of owning a FEW nice rifles over the years but usually only one at a time. Hence the term serial collector.

Now if I was to win the Power Ball ... well that would be an entirely different story!

Gary
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 06:34:42 AM by flintriflesmith »
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 01:38:20 AM »
As we all know, value for something like this is very subjective.  I think the buyer of this rifle did well, and I don't believe it sold at retail value. So if one bought it to flip, there wouldn't be a big profit left, but for a true collector of early Virginia Longrifles, I think he did quite well.  I have on occasion paid close to retail for something I really wanted.  I have to admit that I dislike doing that, but sometimes you do what you have to do.  The beauty about these things is, whats expensive today is a bargain a few years down the road, just check out some of the old Flayderman Catalogs.  

Congratulations to the new owner, maybe if it's local here in Virginia, I'll get to see it one day, I look forward to that.   ;)

FK
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 01:49:51 AM by Fullstock longrifle »