Author Topic: CVA Mountain rifle  (Read 5373 times)

Offline Scout

• Mongrel Rifle School of North Florida
CVA Mountain rifle
« on: January 03, 2011, 05:26:06 AM »
I have a CVA mountain rifle in .50 cal. Is there a source to buy a flintlock barrel and lock for this in .54 cal? What about a caplock barrel in .58? I had a CVA .58 cal caplock years ago but sold it . Also the lock seems a bit weak and won't snap a cap all the time.

Thanks.
Ole Scout
She ain't Purdy but she shoots real good !

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
Re: CVA Mountain rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 06:54:55 AM »
Personnel message sent.

C. Cash

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 04:54:53 PM »
Does yours have Made in Spain on the barrel?  The earlier ones either have Made in USA or no country of origin, and these are supposedly the more desirable Douglass or Deercreek barrels.  If yours is 15/16" across the flats like mine, too small for a 58 barrel I would think.  Mine is in the 75,000 serial number range and has the Spanish Maslin lock which is pretty weak.  I believe L and R makes a replacement lock for the CVA Mountain rifle, at least in Percussion, and I believe I will go this route for mine when I can afford it.

omark

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 06:33:37 PM »
i saw a cheap spanish lock where someone had silver soldered a small block of metal to the lock plate where the base of the mainspring rests, thus increasing spring tension. it has no trouble setting off caps.    mark
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 06:57:03 PM by omark »

gifford

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 03:11:39 AM »
L & R also makes a flintlock replacement lock for the CVA and other similar rifles.

Offline Scout

• Mongrel Rifle School of North Florida
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 04:01:42 AM »
Thanks to all for the info ! :)
She ain't Purdy but she shoots real good !