Author Topic: CHAUNCEY BROCKWAY  (Read 5385 times)

JanN

CHAUNCEY BROCKWAY
« on: January 03, 2011, 06:37:02 AM »
I picked this gun up 20 years ago from an older gentlemen that was moving to Florida and was selling a lot of his possessions. I saw this muzzle loader and thought it was interesting. I payed him 100.00 for it. I took it home and oiled it up and put it in the closet. That is where it has stayed except to get it out and wipe it down once in a while. I was surfing the web about a week ago and saw some old muzzle loaders and started thinking about mine. There are 3 names stamped on the barrel, Remington on the bottom, and on the top, Lefever and Ellis Canandaigua, N.y. , and C.Brockway, Brockport, PA. I was able to find some interesting Information on Brockway which I assume was the maker of the gun.

http://www.pa-roots.com/elk/townships/fox/gun.html

Lefever and Ellis were in business from 1862 till 1867.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Myron_LeFever.html 

Any more information i can get would be great. Thanks, Jan

Offline Curt J

• member 2
Re: CHAUNCEY BROCKWAY
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 07:15:58 AM »
The REMINGTON stamp simply indicates that the barrel blank was supplied by Remington.  Remington supplied barrel blanks, locks, and other parts to the gunsmith's trade for many years, prior to manufacturing guns of their own on a large scale.

C BROCKWAY might be the maker, but I think LEFEVER & ELLIS are just as likely, especially since this rifle has a lot of New York state features, such  as the single (brass?) trigger and lack of an underrib for the ramrod ferrules. Daniel M. Lefever and James H. Ellis were partners in Canandaigua, New York, from 1862 - 1867. They produced some fine heavy target rifles.

So.....if Brockway made the rifle, Lefever & Ellis did something to it later on, such as re-cutting the rifling, OR...if Lefever & Ellis made the rifle, Brockway did something to it later on.  It could go either way.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 07:47:44 AM »
I suspect it was restocked at sometime.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

hoochiejohn

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 08:56:52 PM »
Find a copy of Longrifles of Pennsylvania; Jefferson, Clarion, and Elk Counties by Russ Harriger...lots of interesting info on the Brockway family and Chauncey Brockway, Jr.  Very inventive gunsmith...neat rifles and designs!!
                                                        Denny

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 09:34:08 PM »
Check out this similar rifle that is for sale on Gunbroker this week.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=209313874
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

DIBRDABR

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 05:50:20 PM »
  Hello,
     I was born and raised in Brockport Elk county Pa. and now live in Texas.I know of Chauncey Brockway. My G.G.Grandfather Adam Leck and his son William had a machine shop in Brockport and they were killed in the explosion.But I also have a photo of the machine shop after the explosion with Chauncey Brockway standing in front of the building. I also have the right up from the newspaper on thie. My Other G.G.Grandfather Jacob Fields also worked for him and he and Chauncey were in the Civil war together.My Father also had a Mussel loader handed down to him but passed away 6 years ago so my Brother now has the gun.They do have a Chauncey Brockway Mussle Loader in the Museum at the Alamo. I found this quit interesting on how you purchased this gun and wanted to write you. I will attach the few photo's I have ..Chauncey will be the white Beared man in the photo and one of the Lecks and Jacob Fields.Have a great day and hope you find this interesting . Sincerely Debbie Fields Bickerdyke I have also sent you a normal email and attached a photo.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Oxford Item (New Oxford, Pennsylvania Newspaper )
July 2 1897
Brockwayville, Pa., June 26
Adam Leck, aged 62, and his son William, aged 25, were instantly killed yesterday by the explosion of the boiler in a small machine shop at Brockport, Elk county. The building was owned by Leck, and was demolished by the force of the explosion. Both bodies were blown about a hundred feet and were terribly mangled. Frank Leck, another son was working but a few feet from his father and escaped without a scratch. The explosion is thought to have been caused by carrying too much steam.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 11:25:05 PM by DIBRDABR »