Author Topic: flintlock rifle Moose  (Read 18841 times)

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
flintlock rifle Moose
« on: January 05, 2011, 03:57:37 AM »
I have been in the N.H. Moose lottery for 18 years and finally got my permit.  My son was my sub permitee and he  is also a guide.

We passed up two smaller bulls earlier in the week and got this one on the sixth day.  There was only a couple of minutes of day light left and the moose was 93 yards away.  Both my son and myself fired at him but  there was only one hole!!!!   It turns  out that it is a new record  for  a muzzle loader for the State of N.H.  The antler spread was 61 and 1/4 inches and weighed 755 dressed out.  The state said that they will record it as being taken by David Price Sr.  and David Price Jr.   What a great father  and son hunt we had.

The ball was a 54 cal. with 95 grs .  of GOEX.  It went in behind the shoulder, went  through a rib, took out both lungs, went between the ribs on the opposite side, and stopped against  the hide on the opposite side.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 04:10:26 AM by Ken Guy »

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
Re: flintlock rifle Moose
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 04:02:24 AM »
I havn't posted any pictures for quite a while , I don't know why the pictures didn't come out.  If some one could tell me what I did wrong I will try again.

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 04:06:38 AM »
I didnt see the pics but congrats to both of you, good shooting by someone. Did you use a swivel breech gun on it?  Hope the meat isnt too tough.   Best wishes    Gary

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 04:19:47 AM »
My heartiest congratulations David!  Well done indeed.  If I may speculate, may I suggest that it is likely you that made the kill, because I know you can shoot.  Guide or not, I suspect that you have more experience with flinters than your son.  A remarkable trophy, and what a freezer full!!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 04:25:22 AM »
Congrats David.  Nice Moose.

I fixed your pictures.  You had one to many http:[IMG] in there and the [IMG] needs to be little [img]

Cheers,
Ken
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 04:25:55 AM by Ken Guy »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 04:32:10 AM »
Garry Trapper

Yes I did use one of my swivel breech rifles.  If you go to my web site and look at Project  # 21, that is the rifle that I used.  My son used the one that is listed as priject # 8.

Taylor
My son can out shoot me 9 out of 10 times..............But on that 10th time???
We got four hundred lbs. of meet.  I didn't think I would be able to stick a fork in the gravy, but with tenderezer on it it is passable.  Of course the burger is great

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 05:10:18 AM »
OK David, now I see the pics and can say WOW. That rack will hold two swivelbreech guns and an asortment of hats to boot. Great trophy. My flintlock moose was considerably smaller but might have been more tender as it was only about 2&1/2 years old. Again, congrats to both of you. Traditional muzzleloading at its best.   Gary

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 05:27:31 AM »
Excellent! Very nice Moose.
I am very happy for you. I get a great deal of satisfaction from seeing the results of someone kill game with a traditional ML with traditional loads even if I am not the shooter.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 05:46:43 AM »
I love it. very nice moose an rifles
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 11:34:54 AM »
Great shot and great moose! It sounds that your rb did all it was supposed to do.
Gene

ERH

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 02:41:31 PM »
nice moose i hope to have a chance to shoot one with a flinter someday

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 03:57:29 PM »
David, A successful moose hunt, with your son, using those beautiful guns that you make!
It doesn't get any better than that! Congratulations!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline BrentD

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 04:15:32 PM »
Now that is one $#*! of a great moose!  I'm as envious as can be. 

Congratulations!

Brent

PS.  400# of meat would last about 57 days in his household - we need 7# a day at a minimum.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 06:52:17 PM »
Nice going and a record to boot.....

I have a feeling the kid backed off and left the old man make the killing shot ::) ;D

northmn

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 07:07:08 PM »
Excellent! Very nice Moose.
I am very happy for you. I get a great deal of satisfaction from seeing the results of someone kill game with a traditional ML with traditional loads even if I am not the shooter.

Dan

Could not say it better.

DP

camerl2009

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 07:20:34 PM »
nice bull  :o

Daryl

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 07:55:24 PM »
David - that is a wonderful moose - past wonderful - and a hunting trip you will not forget, and neither will your son.  That it was taken with  ML rifles is a big bonus for sure.  It is easily a record/class moose for that area.  It would be an impressive moose for around here - that's for sure.

Now this is going to get Taylor all fired up one building his swivel breech .54.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 09:23:48 PM by Daryl »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 08:08:12 PM »
What a great hunting experience!  Congratulations on an impressive trophy.  I'd sure hate to have to pack it out.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline cable

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 09:35:10 PM »
Garry Trapper

Yes I did use one of my swivel breech rifles.  If you go to my web site and look at Project  # 21, that is the rifle that I used.  My son used the one that is listed as priject # 8.

Taylor
My son can out shoot me 9 out of 10 times..............But on that 10th time???
We got four hundred lbs. of meet.  I didn't think I would be able to stick a fork in the gravy, but with tenderezer on it it is passable.  Of course the burger is great

having eaten my weight in moose many times over, may i suggest a 'tenderizing' trick i discovered by accident:

take out a packet of your frozen meat, steaks, roasts, whatever.  leave it in the freezer paper, put it all into a large zip lock, put it on the shelf in your refrigerator, let it thaw there , and let it sit there at least a week, or more.  10 days or significantly more wont hurt.  this allows it to age and tenderize....it will not spoil, or smell bad,etc.  i discovered this with a tough old large bull over 20 years ago, when i forgot i had put the meat in the fridge to thaw.  this is an easy way to duplicate the aging process done with beef.  moose has so little fat that it doesnt go bad this way,[ and moose can be left in the freezer much longer than beef without degrading]
this method made that tough old bull vey tender and excellent eating.

and congratulations on a great hunt, great trophy, and such beautiful rifles! 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 09:41:51 PM by cable »

JB2

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 09:48:14 PM »
400#s of meat!  WOW!  Most folks would only need one of those every couple of years!

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 10:04:50 PM »
Congratulations David!  I know your guns are as accurate as they are good looking....  I say you and your son put both shots into one hole!  Way to go!

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 11:21:51 PM »
Hi David,
Congratulations!  Reckon I said that to you earlier but it's worth another time.  It was a long wait for the permit, so it must be especially satisfying to take such an animal with swivel breech flint gun -- that you made.    I hope to hear all the hunt details at Friendship this spring.   
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Stone River

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 11:25:52 PM »
Great moose David!  I saw the picture of you and your son on my friend Jim's website but I hadn't had a chance to ask him the particulars, but I new it was a good one for sure.  The second picture is great with the ornaments in the head gear!

Dan

FRJ

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 03:17:03 AM »
Congratulations on a very fine moose. That as I'm sure you know is a very fine head and both of you should be proud of killing it with traditional rifles. Frank

ken

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2011, 03:20:12 PM »
Nice Bull !!! Great to see someone prove these guns can do the the job they were built for. Congrats on good shooting and a real nice bull.