Author Topic: flintlock rifle Moose  (Read 18839 times)

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
Re: flintlock rifle Moose
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2011, 09:32:08 PM »
Congrats, great bull and sounds like an awesome hunt!  Guess you've got a new display gun rack for your table at Dixon's this year?!   ;)
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2011, 12:27:17 AM »
Congratulations to you and your son David, nice moose.

George Sutton
Centershot

Buckscoshooter

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2011, 03:00:14 PM »
Congrats,Truly that is a big woods trophy and what muzzy dreams are made of. Would be interesting to see some of the Big Time T.V./corperate hunters acomplish that feat.   WELL DONE!

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2011, 04:06:26 PM »
Great hunt and moose.
A finer experience cannot be had, having the chance to take a moose like that with your son.
There will also be many discussions as to who hit the moose..
Another tenderizing trick........marinate your meat over night in  "diet Pepsi"
It must be " diet pepsi" I don't know why.
A chef friend passed this info along, and ""IT WORKS"
Best regards
Old Ford
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

deertracker

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2011, 08:54:53 PM »
Congratulations to you both. It simply doesn't get any better! Knowing first hand how well you both shoot, it's logical to me that you each made the perfect shot. You should have looked harder for the second ball!

Offline doulos

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2011, 12:06:19 AM »
Ive only eaten venison. How do moose taste?

Daryl

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2011, 08:47:24 PM »
They're OK if no Elk or really fat laden Whitetail around.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2011, 09:10:48 PM »
Doulos, moose is excellent meat.  It is very fine grained, looks like beef, but with almost zero fat.  Cook it just to medium, so it's still very moist.  It tastes different from all other venison (which is the old name for all game meat, especially from ungulates), but is very good tasting.  As with all game animals, the young and very old are the best eating...not the ones with the biggest racks.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2011, 09:19:28 PM »
    I'd take a good moose over elk anyday! Taylor,how is that sample I gave you?  Pretty good sausage,eh?!  Never over cook moose.Cook the same a beef,only lower the heat.No fat in moose to insulate the meat. Great moose,David and David.  I like Cable's trick for tenderizing.Good idea.

Trkdriver99

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2011, 05:01:47 AM »
Congradulations on a fine clean kill. I had moose one time and it was good.

Ronnie

camerl2009

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2011, 05:15:45 AM »
moose is ok  jsut dont be a trophy hunter i look for the oldest or a injured animal when i hunt
and i will take it over anything

Offline BrentD

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2011, 05:18:39 AM »
I'd really like to test the moose vs. elk thing personally. :)

I'm still looking for my first moose however.  Until then, I'll have to trust the rest of you.... :(  

Brent

PS>  Right now, I'm working on researching a fly-in drop camp for moose in AK.  If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations (+ or-), please let me know.

Daryl

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2011, 06:04:10 PM »
Preferences differ - or change.  Everyone is allowed their opinion, aren't they?

I used to like moose, Tracy too - but both of us would now much rather have elk calf, elk cow, or fat whitetail.  I have no interest in a bull elk or a big racked deer, especially during the rut.  I am not a trophy hunter.

What Taylor said about the moose's age is true from my experience - the yearling or long yearling calf, a dry cow(woves ate her calf) or an old bull are better.   Buddy brought a few large steaks on a fishing trip, form a 14 year old bull shot on the muzzlelaoding hunt, many years ago.  The meat was actually had slivers of fat through less than, but similar to a rib roast.  It was definitely moose, but the best moose I had ever eaten.

Keep the mulies, moose, the stinking caribou and bears for yourself.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2011, 06:48:38 AM »
I love moose,venison, and black bear meat.  Moose liver and bacon is almost sinfully delicious!
If I could only pick one, I'd go for moose. More to eat! Actually, I need them all  ;D  Oh dear...now I'm hungry...

omark

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2011, 07:17:57 PM »
ive only had moose once. i was not impressed. my son in law barbcued it. or so he claimed. i think he was really preparing "burnt offerings for the gods". but that preparation would have ruined anything, so im not a good reference.   mark    ::)

Buckscoshooter

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2011, 05:50:03 AM »
Corn fed Whitetail Doe seems like the best. I do love Elk but would prefer the same as a young cow. Moose on the other hand that I have tasted was a little tough and bland, it was was a mature Bull so I am a little jaded. I would still like to do a Moose hunt and would have no problem shooting a lame or undersized bull for the meat. ;)

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2011, 05:56:04 PM »
Ive only eaten venison. How do moose taste?
Excellent .

Daryl

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2011, 07:31:55 PM »
I would still like to do a Moose hunt and would have no problem shooting a lame or undersized bull for the meat. ;)

Here, we call them in, we don't have to run them down. ;)