Author Topic: English and European Ramrods?  (Read 13200 times)

Offline Ron Scott

Re: English and European Ramrods?
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2011, 06:18:14 PM »
I failed to note that the post I made yesterday was a email reply from Erhard Wolf, the author of the Large Green Book on Jaeger Rifles.  It is interesting to note that he has a new book on European Wheel locks and Flintlocks in process.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2011, 01:40:53 PM »
How about Virginia hickory??????

In 1768 the ship Nancy was cleared for London and part of her cargo was 1000 gunrods?

http://research.history.org/DigitalLibrary/VirginiaGazette/VGImagePopup.cfm?ID=2010&Res=HI&CFID=9942962&CFTOKEN=72745923

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2011, 04:49:11 PM »
Thanks Ron for the information.  I'll be looking forward to the new book you mentioned.

Thanks James for this additional information as well.  Interesting stuff.

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2011, 08:37:23 PM »
Related question - I recently got a copy of " A Pattern Book of Tools and Household Goods", basically a reprint of an early wholesale catalog. There are several pages of gun tools, including some ramrods available japanned, or "best purple wood".  Anybody know what the purple wood may be? I seem to remember seeing this reference somewhere else and it may have been another name for rosewood.     

keweenaw

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2011, 08:57:34 PM »
Purple wood would be what we now call purpleheart.  It's a great tropical wood that makes good ramrods for English type guns.  Don Brown used purpleheart for the ramrods on his Alex Henry rifles.  It is absolutely purple when you first cut it.  With time it turns sort of reddish brown.  It seems to be generally available at places like Woodcraft and tropical hardwood dealers.  Here's a link to a good picture and discussion: http://www.righteouswoods.net/purpleheart.html

Tom