Author Topic: Mutton Tallow?  (Read 5721 times)

Offline Skychief

Mutton Tallow?
« on: January 06, 2011, 05:41:53 AM »
A friend swears that mutton tallow works perfectly for him as a patch lube and bore protectant after cleanings.

Anybody here have thoughts on using mutton tallow for a bore protectant and patch lube?

Thanks, Skychief.

Pvt. Lon Grifle

Re: Mutton Tallow?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 06:17:05 AM »
Mutton tallow was an ingredient in H.M. Pope's schuetzen lube and well thought of as it was sticky and available. It is harder to get now. I never used it but that's  no reason for you not to try it.   

I only  use a common(unnamed) lubricant as a preservative on  my BP items as my use of it has been fully satisfactory.  Just be careful till you find out how rendered sheep fat works for you.  Lon

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 06:11:45 PM »
Wasn't it the Anhydrous Lanolin (from the wool) that was used in many of those early 1900's lubes?  My cousin used to use Anhydrous Lanolin for case lube for sizing. I suppose that could be thinned with something but have no experience with it as a lube for patches or when mixed in with bullet lube.
The spelling might be wrong on anhydrous - pronounced -  an high dross
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 06:12:48 PM by Daryl »

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 06:29:01 PM »
Dixie Gunworks sells a lube called " Old Zip" which is mutton tallow and beeswax; claimed to be used by Ned Roberts.  They also sell mutton tallow alone.  Years ago, I tried Old Zip and it was OK,but today I prefer the mink oil lube sold by Track of the Wolf.   [ If I purchase anything, which is rare these days- easy to make your own]

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 06:58:56 PM »
A friend swears that mutton tallow works perfectly for him as a patch lube and bore protectant after cleanings.

Anybody here have thoughts on using mutton tallow for a bore protectant and patch lube?

Thanks, Skychief.

I would not trust it to protect the bore unless it KNEW there was not the slightest spec of moisture or fouling anywhere in the bore.
I have had good luck with beef tallow as patch lube, seems to be accurate and loads well in a fouled bore 10-15 shots with no hit of trouble if I blow into the bore and have about 3/4 of a pint of deer tallow that I intend to try. It seems to be harder than the beef tallow.
I just remembered I have a piece of 1018 bar stock out in the shop that I cleaned and then smeared with tallow about a month ago. But its so dry hear indoors in winter...
I have had tallow (squeezed off the patch while loading) and powder fouling stain the muzzle black in a few hours of hunting with snow on the ground and the humidity high (for here). I had cleaned the bore but suspect there was some fouling trapped in the decoration at the muzzle. A friend who has looked into this a lot more than I came to the conclusion some years ago that tallow was perhaps mildly corrosive.
The deer tallow I have was boiled several times with water changes in hopes of removing any salt that might be present. Its nice and white at least.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 07:02:25 PM »
Dixie Gunworks sells a lube called " Old Zip" which is mutton tallow and beeswax; claimed to be used by Ned Roberts.  They also sell mutton tallow alone.  Years ago, I tried Old Zip and it was OK,but today I prefer the mink oil lube sold by Track of the Wolf.   [ If I purchase anything, which is rare these days- easy to make your own]

I bought some Old Zip  back in 1967? I never used it much on patches but found it would keep mosquitoes off one day in the woods in Iowa when they were especially bad.
They would land on the greasy surface and zoom away like they had landed on a hot skillet. ;D

Dan

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 11:50:27 PM »
I went out and got the bar of steel down of the shelf.
 This is deer and beef tallow that was boiled in water to at least twice.

The 1018 steel plate was a ground finish and I polished it then degreased with alcohol.
I smeared some of each on the steel and let it set for over a month.
I really thought I would find some at least discoloration.
But it was perfectly clear as the photos show.

Dan
As coated

Wiped clean after test.

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 11:57:28 PM »
was goiong to say amazing - but - just how high did the humidity get, percentage wise, Dan?

There's no rust anywhere even on unprotected steel, which shows very low humidity at least and a perfectly degreased and cleaned test piece of steel. According to the steel, clean and dry was just as good as the tallow.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 12:00:42 AM by Daryl »

dannybb55

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 12:29:56 AM »
Anhydrus lanolin was the grease/ rust deterent of choice in the days of sail. Iron treated would not rust with constant contact with sea water and salt air. standing rigging and all hardware was treated with it. Seawater hates sheep grease and it makes your hands nice and soft too. Don't worry about minor percentages of humidity. 

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 04:47:50 AM »
was goiong to say amazing - but - just how high did the humidity get, percentage wise, Dan?

There's no rust anywhere even on unprotected steel, which shows very low humidity at least and a perfectly degreased and cleaned test piece of steel. According to the steel, clean and dry was just as good as the tallow.

Yeah bare steel seldom rusts here unless it gets liquid water on it or gets too close to some acid or such.
I was more looking for something in the tallow that was "activated" that would discolor the steel.
I am not much of a scientist ;D

I will have to put it in a damp box I guess.While it did snow I bet the humidity in the shop never went over 60. Probably not even that.

Dan

Daryl

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 07:38:13 PM »
gotcha