Author Topic: Shooting Sticks  (Read 8583 times)

eagle24

Shooting Sticks
« on: January 06, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
How many of you carry a shooting stick or x-sticks with you when you hunt?  What is your max range/distance on taking a shot at a whitetail?  I know the second question is somewhat dependant on the situation.  I have passed several shots in the 50-75 yard range that I just didn't have confidence I could make.  Finally killed my first deer with my flintlock last Friday at 42yds.  I was amazed at how difficult the shot seemed at the time.  Right now, I am much more confortable with my bow at that range.

Daryl

Re: Shooting Sticks
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 08:30:42 PM »
Way to go Greg - it takes a good man to follow his concerns about range.

As in the above or below post, as my 14 bore has sight leaves to 200yards, a range I practise to, along with a laser range finder, I'd not have difficulty shooting at a buck at that range form a good rest.  I prefer a prone or sitting rest on a solid object to cross sticks.

Practise with the sticks and see how they work for you. It's not as easy as it seems it should be.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 08:31:12 PM by Daryl »

Offline Longknife

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 08:45:29 PM »
I don't carry shooting sticks but I can relate to what you are saying. I believe the problem is in your confidence to hit the deer in the right spot to make a humane kill. We are all accustomed to aim at little black bullseyes when sighting in our guns and   then when
we hunt we are suddenly aimimg at a large object that does not have a bulls eye
and we
 are not confident to be able to hit the right spot. To overcome this you need to make cardboard cutouts of life sized deer and place them at different distances, in you hunting woods if possible. Then practice shooting at these "deer" from different shooting positions, standing kneeling, crouching, from a stand, make it as realistic as possible. When you are able to hit the "kill" zone under these conditions your confidence will return......
Ed Hamberg

Dave Faletti

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 09:27:26 PM »
I don't carry shooting sticks for big game.  Most of my shots are off hand.  They would need to be in my hand to be convenient and quick to use.  That wouldn't leave me a hand for using my binoculars.  I used them a lot when I hunted coyotes but I was sitting and had time to set up.   Most of the terrain I hunt its easy enough to keep shots within 100yds.  I pass up any shot I am not real happy about regardless of the range.

omark

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 12:01:07 AM »
i dont carry sticks. the farthest offhand ive made was on a 2 pt (eastern 4pt) muley at about 135 yds. dead center through the "lights". went about 65 yds and was found with his feet in the air. i used to shoot offhand all the time, but as i get more mature (shakey and blind), i kneel and rest on one knee if i dont have a tree handy. guess some will use their ramrod as a rest. i never tried it.   just what works for me.  mark

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 06:29:03 AM »
I have been frustrated with shooting sticks.  It seems to change the point of impact for me.  Could be that I just don't know how to use them.  I find if I put the palm of the left hand against a tree and lay the gonne in the crook between thumb and hand the point of impact does not change.
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Harnic

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 07:10:50 AM »
When I hunted, I found sitting on my butt resting my elbows on my knees for shots too long for offhand.  Always worked well for me.

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 06:00:59 PM »
I carry a walking stick into the woods  this time  of the year and will occasionally use it just as if it were a tree. This is squirrel hunting and all shots are at vrey modest range. I like game to be within "bayonet range".
Gene

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 06:28:25 PM »
I have been frustrated with shooting sticks.  It seems to change the point of impact for me.  Could be that I just don't know how to use them.  I find if I put the palm of the left hand against a tree and lay the gonne in the crook between thumb and hand the point of impact does not change.
volatpluvia
You sir are on the mark with that! ;D

BrownBear

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 06:42:20 PM »
I haven't got around to trying it with muzzleloaders because I'm using them in "closer" country and taking shorter shots.  But with cartridge guns and more open country I usually carry a walking staff in honor of our really steep country and shoulder-high grass.  My experience with staffs and sticks is therefore with modern guns, but I've always "assumed" it was transferable to muzzleloaders.  I know, I know.... ass-u-me.  

But here's what I found in some serious testing.  Shooting while standing, using the staff for a rest roughly doubles my offhand range, or in the case of huffing and puffing, lets me shoot at my normal offhand distances long before my lungs catch up with my body.  I can tame the swaying and wobbling enough to allow fairly quick "offhand" shots without waiting till I've recovered from a climb.  With our tall, tall grass there's often zero opportunity for prone or sitting shots, much less for kneeling shots.

When I can manage a sitting shot, shooting with the staff is virtually as effective as shooting prone with my rifle on a rest. It's downright amazing just how steady you can be sitting and shooting with a staff.

POI certainly does change if you clasp the rifle tight to the staff.  I get zero change in POI if I rest the rifle on top of the hand clasping the staff, or at most raise my thumb to create a "U" into which my rifle drops freely.  Choice between those two depends on terrain and angle of shot.  But the minute you squeeze the rifle up against the staff, POI can shift a lot.

As I said, none of this is confirmed with a muzzleloader.  But it would take actual shooting to change my mind about applying it to muzzleloaders, too.

Edit:  One big WOOPS in all this.  Our ground is generally soft.  My staffs are all mildly pointed and I can shove them into the ground a bit before using them for shooting.  That's the big difference in their effectiveness as shooting aids.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 06:51:45 PM by BrownBear »

Daryl

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 07:34:43 PM »
How the rifle is rested against an object is MOST improtant in regards its point of impact. No matter what I rest the gun on, if wanting to strike the mark, I hold the forend as if I am shooting offhand - it is the grasping hand that is rested - whether in cross sticks, on the ground prone or in the tree's crotch or against a tree - my left hand (or right if shooting left handed) is gripping the stock as if shooting offhand.  That way the point of impact NEVER changes- modern guns or muzzlelaoders. For those who shoot offhand with a body resting elbow and under the lock grasp, you're on your own and poi will never be the same  - likely.

Want to see the difference - you don't have to shoot at 100 yards, 50 will do.  3 shots off the bench, holding the stock, gripped in your left hand and resting your hand on a block of wood,  then 3 shots only holding the stock at it's wrist, letting the forend bounce off a block of wood each shot.  hole the gun - same POI - let her bounce and you'll probably get some windage as well as verticle. Oh yeah- use a full hunting charge - no sqibs to try to foil the test.

It is a rare gun that will not change poi with different methods of resting.  Only my .17 cal modern guns don't change - even my .32 changes, but a small amount within normal ranges. It is not a hunting rifle, per-se. The less the recoil, the less the change.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 08:08:59 PM »
I sometimes carry a set of cross sticks that I made. The legs have ferrules for take down, and easy carry, like a fishing pole. I set them up if I find a likely ambush site. I agree with Daryl on the support point, so when I practice, I take time out to use them, just as I would in the field.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

northmn

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 09:53:20 PM »
I have shot more than one deer with a modern rifle and X sticks from a blind.  My favorite method is to either carry a cord like decoy cord or the yellow chalk cord or black tape and a little hand saw that fits in my pocket that I got from a camping supplies section at Wally world.  I cut them on the spot and make them to fit from the blind.  When I shoot I put my cap in the crotch of the sticks for a padding.  It will also work with a BP gun and I have had them in the blind with me but the deer have not cooperated.  They work very well in that situation.  My daughter still teases me about a permit deer I shot over sticks.  It was very small, but I told her that not everyone can hit something that small at that range.

DP

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 11:43:53 PM »
I made a pair of sticks, tied in at the crossing with leather thong and with a leather saddle which hangs from the top end of the sticks.  It was to steady my grandson hunting with a modern rifle for his elk hunts.  Had him use the saddle to rest his forehand with the rifle in his normal grip position.  He was able to make a perfect hit on an elk at 125 yds with it.  Unsupported I would have limited him to about 50 yds because he just hasn't had enough practice for longer shots. 

Offline doulos

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 02:53:20 AM »
Ive thought about carrying shooting sticks. But Im weighted down with all the stuff I carry now. It seems that the shots Ive passed since I went to back to hunting with prb guns are because I wasnt confident that I could see well enough to put the ball where it needed to go without hitting intervening brush. Shooting sticks wouldnt have helped. Some of the shots were pretty close too. And after looking through my binos after not taking a shot I could see that the shot wasnt that hard with a scoped gun.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 07:34:25 AM »
One of my shooting buddies has a cord tied to his belt and other end tied to his moses stick, when he hunts the prarrie he can at times reach down and pull up the draging stick for a rest if he has the time.   Gary

Daryl

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 11:53:55 PM »
One of my shooting buddies has a cord tied to his belt and other end tied to his moses stick, when he hunts the prarrie he can at times reach down and pull up the draging stick for a rest if he has the time.   Gary

Gary - that would be similar to a wading staff - that hangs behind or downstream of you when fishing a river for Steelhead.  there is a sliding loop that fits around you over the off-shoulder like a possible's bag strap.  I'd not thought of that for a walking or shooting staff - could work OK on open ground but might be forever hanging up in underbrush and would have to be carried through that stuff.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 01:22:34 AM »
Daryl: My buddy can use those style of supports but I never have had much luck with them. Different strokes type of deal. I need more rest in my rest.   Gary

northmn

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 01:33:10 AM »
The ones I use in the blinds are cut higher than the traditional X sticks so that I can shoot them sitting from a chair.  The more comfortable the better.  some day I am going to be putting recliners in my blinds at the rate I am going.

DP

Daryl

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 08:46:10 PM »
I have used cross sticks when shooting gophers, while sitting in a lawn chair. It was more accurate than sitting on the ground with sticks due to being able to rest my elbows on the chair arm or my knees - just about like shooting off a bipod prone.