Author Topic: Was hunting today.  (Read 5570 times)

Buckscoshooter

Was hunting today.
« on: January 07, 2011, 03:17:27 AM »
Well, new year and looking for that first buck of 2011. Working on three in a good area but no sign of either of them today. Actually saw a big body deer at about 65 yards but could not get a clear look at any antlers as the cover at that point was getting thick. Maybe tomorrow,snow is predicted and is always a plus for late PA Muzzy hunters. That thick brown buck hide shows up nicely when snow is falling. Good luck to anyone else working for a deer at this time. ;)

Offline BrentD

Re: Was hunting today.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 05:06:49 AM »
Saw 20 at the opposite end of the beanfield near where I was headed but they got there before I did and there was nothing I could do about it.

We are about to get more snow too, but also much colder temps.  This is the Grand Finale this weekend.

Buckscoshooter

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 04:38:59 PM »
Went out yesterday Morning only saw 2 Red Fox playfully bouncing thru the woods. 20 min. later 2 coyotes were hot on the trail behind them. Can't help but wonder if they were stalking the Fox (the Coyites). Either way I passed up shooting the Coyotes as I did not want to disterb my hunting grounds in lieu of a few Bucks that I am stalking.   Afternoon hunt went about as well as the AM hunt. Switched locations, Had another big bodied deer WEEZ at me but could not put the sights on a vital area of his body. Yesterday, Stopped by to see a fella named Charlie Stone during lunch. What a teriffic guy,he owns a Muzzy shop in Bucks Co PA 83 years young and very knowledgeable. Always a good conversation at his place. Also met a fella heading back in to the woods coming out of Charlie's shop and he showed me a pic of hin Nephew's first Bucl with a Muzzy this year. The Kid is only 14 and off to a good start with a nice Muzzy taken 8 pointer,looked to be in the 225lb. class as well.  Late start today but always hopefull,flurrying as I am heading out the dooe. Good Luck to anyone else heading out today.

Offline BrentD

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 05:45:06 PM »
Yep, those coyotes were after the foxes. That's normal for them.  And that is why coyotes are the best thing since sliced bread for ground-nesting birds.

Buckscoshooter

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 01:56:29 AM »
O.K. I am now a OFFICAL DEER HUNTING SNOB. Passed up a nice but on the small side 5 pointer tonight. (broken 6) May have dressed at 125lbs. Had him at 40yds then 30 then 20. He kept looking behind him self as to be looking for a buddy bringing up the rear. NO DICE,just him. So, I let him pass. I guess since I do know of 3 racks that are much larger and the season is still good til the end of the month free passes are good up until the last week. LOL. Anyone else hitting the woods?

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 03:01:35 AM »
In this part of Texas we are in a late season doe and spike only period.  Of course yesterday AM a respectable 8 pt got to 35 yards broad side and the does were at 150+.

That's why it's called hunting and not shooting.

TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline BrentD

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 05:02:24 AM »
I was out tonight. 
Had a doe and fawn within range, but the brush was just a little thick and I didn't want to force the shot.  They bedded for a while but got up and walked away without giving me a more open shot. 

I would go tomorrow, but I'll probably pheasant hunt instead.  That will close the season for both. 

Brent

Brittowner

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 09:35:59 PM »
Hi all! New to the forum. Took a small doe that had been hit in the leg in rifle season (assume from the damage) yesterday evening.  I used my TC Renegade in .50 cal 75 gr FFG pushing a buffalo ballet.  40 yd offhand shot, incredible for me.  As a side note went to see Allaen Martin at his shop to check out a rifle he was selling for someone else.  Ended up putting a deposit down for Allen to build me a gun.  Allen's guns made my Renegade feel like a club.  I have only been into blackpowder for about six years. This was my third deer with the flinter.

Offline whitebear

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 01:31:07 AM »
Welcome to the forum Brittowner.  With only 6 years experience you are still a baby, on offence intended, but the guys and galls on this forum will help you mature the correct way.  There is more free information and knowledge on this forum than a millionaire could pay for.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Brittowner

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 05:01:54 AM »
No offense taken and thanks for the welcome.  I am a little nervous about the gun I am having built.  Big investment and I probably did not put as much thought and research into the gun as I should have.  Allen spent some time with me and I think his knowledge and mastering of the art will give me a gun I will be proud to own.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 07:43:24 PM »
No offense taken and thanks for the welcome.  I am a little nervous about the gun I am having built.  Big investment and I probably did not put as much thought and research into the gun as I should have.  Allen spent some time with me and I think his knowledge and mastering of the art will give me a gun I will be proud to own.
Young Al Martin will keep you on the straight and narrow for certain.  You will have a rifle to be proud of! :)

Buckscoshooter

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 07:50:20 PM »
Yep, Al Has it down pat. Congrats and welcome as I am a Newbie here as well.  Calling for snow in PA Tue. and Wed. Looking forward to seeing some action. I might take my Charles Daly Hawken .50 for this hunt as I may be getting in to a area with some heavy cover and the short barrel will help me get a shot up just a hair quicker in the event the Deer are passing thru on the hoof.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 10:48:27 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Brittowner.  The technical knowledge here is formidable.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.