Author Topic: Revolutionary War Ball Rammer  (Read 9775 times)

Dave Marsh

Revolutionary War Ball Rammer
« on: October 06, 2008, 03:37:34 PM »
I found this item on ebay.  Interesting description and item.  In light of all of the discussions on ball starters and whether they were used or not I was curious as to what the experts thought about this.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=280274548161

Offline Elnathan

Re: Revolutionary War Ball Rammer
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 05:19:14 PM »
Unless he has some information to back up the Revolution claim, I would ignore his dating. Don't see how it would speed up the loading process, either.

Interesting piece though...I wonder how it is supposed to work? If you whacked the end of the rod it would hurt your hand.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 05:24:33 PM »
I am no expert but the piece has no provenance for Rev. War time frame or military use. I question whether the two pieces go together and if it actually is a ball starter.   

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 11:11:45 PM »
Dave,

I see nothing there that would indicate that this item is from the 18th century or is a ball starter or rammer. Heck, it might be a F&I period nut cracker?

It seems to me that some of the old militaria  collectors and those who collect old shooting related items sometimes have no knowledge or experience shooting muzzle loaders and in their ignorance they buy up anything that could possibly be related to muzzle loaders and then try to relate the item to muzzle loader shooting like trying to fit a round plug in a square hole. The seller of this item is one generation removed from the gentleman who collected this item and seems to have little if any knowledge of muzzle loaders.

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline TPH

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 12:43:21 AM »
2tweetiebirds' father had a good imagination. The date is off by about 200 years. I saw a couple of short starters like it back in the 1970s and his/her father got taken to the cleaners if he paid more than $1.00 for that "rare collectible" back then. ;) Especially since it is missing the ball that was attached to the top.... 
T.P. Hern

famouseagle

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 02:55:03 AM »
I need to get on eBay.  I have a whole cellar full of artifacts  that were used in the Revolutionary War.  As a matter of fact I'm making some stuff now...............................

Offline Rich

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 06:06:40 AM »
from the shape of the thing, the barrel would have had an under rib. My guess is that it's a piece of a pistol loading device made by a buckskinner in the 70's. The squared off end of the rod may have hooked into a lever.

Dave Marsh

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 03:08:16 PM »
Great comments.  A few years ago before I started shooting muzzleloaders and joined the ALR I probably would have believed the write up.  Randy your comment is right on that he is removed from the actual shooting and really does not know what that the item is.  I have certainly learned a lot and saw this item as not what it was represented but I was curious as to what you guys thought it was as I certainly had no clue other than it was not a ball starter. That is the beauty of this site.    Thanks guys -- solved my curiosity.         

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 02:08:15 AM »
Dave,

It does appear that this item is a ball starter/rammer, JUST NOT FROM THE REV WAR TIME PERIOD. I would suspect late 1800's or early 1900's when the big muzzle loadng sport was target shooting. The burled piece does have an octagon cut out and apparently a cut out for a under barrel rib. The cut out for the barrel under rib would probably be the best way to date it to a range of years. The piece of ramrod has apparently been broken off, but I think it would probably have been a full length ramrod rather than a short starter with a ball on the end. I had not noticed that the large burled piece was cut out in an octagon shape.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 07:31:49 AM »
Looks like a home made starter for picket bullets. It appears to be for a 1/2 stock.
1840s maybe, maybe 1940s. Not rev war.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Longknife

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 03:49:14 PM »
Forty two bucks and reserve not met????? Some body is gettin RAMMED!!!!
Ed Hamberg

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 09:52:27 PM »
It appears that the more successful sellers have found that a good story helps sell the item.
A friend who is an historian and sells over the web routinely supplies a description and some history about each article. He has never fabricated untruths so far as I know, but it seems that many can be persuaded to buy sold by a clever description. Caveat emptor! 
Dick

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 10:18:09 PM »
It appears that the more successful sellers have found that a good story helps sell the item.
A friend who is an historian and sells over the web routinely supplies a description and some history about each article. He has never fabricated untruths so far as I know, but it seems that many can be persuaded to buy sold by a clever description. Caveat emptor! 
Dick

Dick,

Having dealt on Ebay for several years selling over two thousand items, I do peruse Ebay quite often. I believe that many of the claims of authenticity and provenance are born out of ignorance by the seller rather than an effort to deceive, but Caveat Emptor still applies.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 01:28:46 AM »
You know, Randy, I agree with you. There are always some deceivers our there but nothing like those who work out of ignorance. Many sellers are dealers in antiques or other specialty
and just do not have the time or inclination to get to the truth, if it can be ascertained.
I usually avoid the web because of the crazy bidding system. I am an old man and the saw that you can't teach an old dog new tricks applies to me, very well. The few times I have purchased things from ebay were disappointing and so now I avoid it. My call and am sure that some good things could have been up on my wall that aren't, because of my bias.
Best-Dick

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 01:44:19 AM »
I think the majority are found to be in the middle. I would call it ignorant on purpose to avoid any accountability.

wwpete52

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 08:20:58 PM »
Strange looking thing ain't it.

Offline Longknife

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 04:49:38 PM »
I like the statemen that it is for a FLINTLOCK Kentucky rifle, How the heck ya gonna know that????? I have also noticed on other web sites that almost all percussion rifles were converted from flintlock---wheather---- or ---not!!! Ed
Ed Hamberg

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 07:15:34 PM »
I have also noticed on other web sites that almost all percussion rifles were converted from flintlock

I think this is out of ignorance too.  They seem to think that any rifle which has a drum is a flintlock conversion.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson