Author Topic: General Question/Answer for everyone , What would be--------  (Read 6828 times)

Buckscoshooter

General Question/Answer for everyone , What would be--------
« on: January 08, 2011, 08:29:11 PM »
 What would be the one tool or piece of equipement you need in your possible bag for a big game hunt that, if you forgot it you would be cussing up a storm? For me a pair of simple ole' pliers.  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Offline smylee grouch

Re: General Question/Answer for everyone , What would be--------
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 08:41:20 PM »
Turn screw to change flints.   Gary

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 10:16:44 PM »
Yep, screw driver tool for flints.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

roundball

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 10:41:35 PM »
What would be the one tool or piece of equipement you need in your possible bag for a big game hunt that, if you forgot it you would be cussing up a storm? For me a pair of simple ole' pliers.  I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Interesting...since I've never had to tighten a jaw screw or replace a flint while out hunting, if I found that I'd forgotten the tool (rod) I normally carry to do that, I wouldn't cuss up a storm.
(in the event I ever forgot that rod, I could use the metal rod in my belt buckle to slid through the hole in the jaw screw and tighten it that way)

But the piece of equipment I use the most when hunting, which would cause me to cuss if I discovered I'd forgotten it, would be the cleaning/seating jag.
If I take a shot and want to reload, I always clean/dry/lube the bore before reloading.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 11:50:45 PM »
Roundball...........I don't believe a siler lock has a hole thru the top jaw screw to tighten on the flint, as a matter of fact,
I don't think any of Chambers locks have that hole, no do the locks of Davis, L&R, or any good lock you can buy.........Don

imray

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 12:13:07 AM »
I know exactly what it is, because I do it all the time! its my Hearing Aids!!!, I don't wear them in, and around the house much because I found I really don't want to hear all the clutter noises that are around when the family is puttering around two or three TVs on in different rooms, someone talking on the phone, next to me, and someone else talking on their phone in the other room, WHAT the $#*! ever happened to One TV, One Phone wired to the wall where you can get away from it? The noises are like listening to a gaggle of two thousand GEESE in your lap.
  AH, but in the woods, I need the edge of hearing like I did when I was 7 yrs, old. If I can hear I can see the meat and then decide whether i feel like dragging it home or not, Just because I fell like killing something when I leave don't mean I will feel like it when the time comes, sometimes its all i can do to drag my one ass home, I guess I need to look into one of those stick on eye thingies to see the sights with too, OH then theres Two things to worry about leaving at the house!  Great thought, I get a mile from the house and have my water pouch, medicine pouch, apple pouch, extra clothes pouch, long glasses, tethered gloves slung over my shoulder, and then I remember I forgot to go pee, Dang. best wishes, ray

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 12:44:58 AM »
Ray, you are in the woods, what is your problem! 

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 01:18:47 AM »
Hay Ray, sounds like you need a check list instead of a tool. Happy hunting.

northmn

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 01:38:05 AM »
I have on more than one occaision forgotten a knife.  One I like to put in my bag is a tool type knife that includes a screwdriver etc.  Place I work frowns on carrying pocket knives and wearing watches.  Watches are another tool as they keep me honest on stands.

DP

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 08:43:14 PM »
Leatherman on my belt. The wide flat screw driver blade is ground to fit the cock screws for flint changing. If hunting with a cap gun, I have a nipple wrench to allow removing the nipple in case I get a drenched charge (ie: fall down and submerge the breech in a puddle, river or whatever) - removing the nipple will allow seeing if it's still dry and cleaning out the bottom area enough to get enough prime(4F) in there to discharge the load & reload. That's about the only reason for the nipple wrench, but it's a cautionary one - for me. Otherwise, all I'd need is on the leatherman- including 2 knives, serrated and smooth and a pelvic bone saw, sissors for triming the flesh around a gash or whatever before stiching it up ;D, whatever.

I always carry heavy tape (adhesive) and wet/dry bandades for closing wounds. They have come in handy many times - I'm a bit clumsy- HA!.  Learned this from a friend who almost cut through his index finger, then taped it back together so he could finish gutting the moose.  At camp, he sewed it up for the rest of the week-long hunt, then went to the hospital so they could try and find the ligaments.  He had to leave it taped to the middle finger while hunting because the ligaments were severed.  So- bandages, and adhesive tape can permit you to continue hunting and are an important addition to the 'bag'.  "Thin CA" would be a good addition to the 'tool' box back in camp. Available at hobby stores.  This is for closing wounds and less painful than stitching. Word of advise, don't use the CA kicker - that REALLY stings. 

He wouldn't have cut himself if he'd not forgotten his own knife and had to use another's for the job. Dull (sliding on bones and ligaments) knives are dangerous.  Keep them sharp. Keith can gut a bull moose in 10 minutes flat - ready for packing - I've seen his do it many times. Just stand clear. He doesn't use a 3" belt knife, either.

That's him with the blade. The 'others' are in dangerous territory.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 10:04:02 PM »
LOL!...empty primer! Ever try priming with 2f Goex? It works, but barely! or fill your primer at home...and leave it there.grrrr. Ask me how I know.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »
Roy, when I started this game, I was living on the Queen Charlotte Islands.  I had a T/C .50 cal flinter and all I could get was Meteor cannon powder..like coarse rock salt.  I used it for the charge and prime, and I shot a lot of coastal black tailed deer with that little rifle.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 11:10:43 PM »
Well, my permit for one thing.  A feller can get into all kinds of trouble having a deer in their possession with no permit, even if your permit is setting on the table back home.  The other (as my luck goes) my rope I always take with me in my back pack in case I have to hang my deer up or drag it out of the woods.

Naturally there are numerous items that could cause a person to cuss when they don't have what they thought they bought on the hunt with them only to find out they need it - but forgot it. ;)

YORKTOWNE54

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 01:27:04 AM »
Would be the cows knee that LB made for me. Has saved me a couple times when things got a little moist. Thanks again LB.

Offline whitebear

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 01:42:17 AM »
I use the different bag for each gun method and try to remember to refill low items when I get back home, but anything that I leave out would fit into this catagory.  I guess that picking up the wrong bag would top my list.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Trkdriver99

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 04:48:33 AM »
My lifesavers candy.  I am diabetic and need something if my sugar drops bad and fast.
 :P
Ronnie