Author Topic: Long Rifle value  (Read 3501 times)

postley-nelson

Long Rifle value
« on: January 08, 2011, 09:01:23 PM »
I have a Postley-nelson long rifle, 1843, 45 caliber, Double set trigger, Half stock, w/37" barrel. I belive it was made in Penn., I would like to find a value on this rifle so I can sell it. Does anyone have any idea of the value or how to find it? I will email pictures upon request.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contributed by Dr. Whisker - Admin

Postley, Nelson & Company.  gun barrel manufac­turers.  1850-75, 17 Market St., Pittsburgh [tax; U.S. Census; Dirs. of Pittsburgh]. Headquarters on Butler St. between Carroll and Wilkins Sts.  In the U.S. Census of Industry of 1850, the firm showed a capital investment of $25,000. During the previous 12 months the firm purchased 230 tons of iron; 3 tons of one type of steel and 30,000 pounds of another type of steel, and in total raw materials valued at $13,350. They employed 25 men with a monthly payroll of $1000. They made shovels, vices and gun barrels valued at $311,000. Alexander Postley and S. D. Nelson, proprietors.

POSTLEY, NELSON & COMPANY, Manufacturers of cast steel, fine twist and iron GUN BARRELS solid box vises, cast steel and hammered shovels and spades, Nel­son's patent shovels, picks, mattocks, sledges, wedges, crowbars &c.  Agents for J. T. Holmes' axes and hatch­ets. Warehouse, 17 Market St., Pittsburgh.

[Waynesburg Messenger, March 6, 1861]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 06:33:06 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Re: Long Rifle value
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 09:13:32 PM »
Best to post pictures. Several members likely to chime in. "Artistic Merit", rarity and condition are three major factors to be considered. Postley-Nelson is a late Pittsburg maker ( after 1850) and is unlikely to have great value. I can refer you to the Gallery or for sale area on this site as a possible way to post it for sale. Then you will find its "REAL" value.
Hurricane
(fgarner@verizon.net)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 10:18:24 PM by hurricane »