Author Topic: stock blank  (Read 3770 times)

ERH

stock blank
« on: January 09, 2011, 12:16:33 AM »
can u get a way with a 2 in  stock blank for tenn. rifle  And what is avg thickness of blanks

Offline okieboy

Re: stock blank
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 12:46:37 AM »
 Eric, please don't take this as any definative answer, but the blank that I am building my chunk gun from is 1.600" thick at this point; it was 2.750" thick when I got it. The two questions that I ask are: 1. What is your barrel thickness plus two times your lock thickness? 2. How wide is your butt plate?
 Some people may add a little to the second question for a substantial cheek piece, but I don't.
 Hope this helps get your planning started.
Okieboy

chuck-ia

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 12:51:04 AM »
I just measured my gillespie rifle with a .36 cal. A weight barrel and the widest part is the stock, cheek piece, around one and a half inches, no cast off. I would lay out a pattern and see how much wood you have. I would think you would have enough. chuck

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 01:45:16 AM »
2" is plenty wide for a Tennessee style rifle.  With a buttplate thickness of about 1 1/2" you will have plenty of wood for a cheekpiece and a little castoff.
DMR

Offline b bogart

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 02:07:39 AM »
I'm working on a Bucks County-esque rifle that began with a 1 7/8" blank. Made me a little nervous and I spent alot of time sketching and measuring (and remeasuring). It's working out OK. Oh yea the blank was cheap because of the narrowness ;D

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 03:14:45 AM »
I once made a Gillespie out of a board that was 1 7/8, had a cheek rest and 1/4 inch cast-off with no problem. I did it from scratch, don't send your stock man a blank that thin, he will call you up cussing. Ask me how I know ;D It takes too long to get set up in the duplicator.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

ERH

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 03:42:51 PM »
thanks all the info

Birddog6

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 04:22:01 PM »
Yes, 2" is enough for a Tenn. And if you can set the muzzle over a tad & angle the barrel a bit, you can usually get cast off & a decent cheekpiece.  In setting the breech over, be sure to measure correctly as to leave adequate wood for the tail of the lock panels.

If you find it real close, put a piece of duct tape over the wood at the tail of the lock panel so you don't accidentally file or sand if off too low to keep the panel from looking correct, then do it last.   One I built I had to move over to miss a knot & did this & it worked out fine.

Keith Lisle