Author Topic: Our Germanic heritage  (Read 2798 times)

Offline Dave B

Our Germanic heritage
« on: January 09, 2011, 08:33:31 AM »
I was reviewing the fine pieces having been auctioned off back in October from Herman-Historica auction #60  lot #36 from the " Antiquities including pieces from the Axel Guttmann Collection"
 http://www.hermann-historica.com/
This looks like it could be one of the rifles for Guslers Virginia built German styled longrifles.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/DaveB44/03618.jpg

If you click on the picture on the website there is a magnification box that pops up so you can get a closer look at the piece by moving the curser box over the area of interest.

Here is a translation from the discription from German to english.

Leidheiser, Barr / Alsace in 1740. Slightly compressed, seven-octagonal rifled barrel in the caliber of 13 mm. Inserted brass grain and two-way adjustable steel rear sight. Smooth stone castle, complete mechanism, a set screw is missing with signed apron "Leidheiser A BARR. Defective needle trigger. Easily carved, something in the flask verwurmter, on the forearm and the lock area heavily damaged walnut full stock. Easily engraved brass furniture, the slipcase with engraved brass plate "ANDREAS HEBERLE. Iron ramrod. Length 134 cm.
Mutilated, by improving restoration good rifle.

http://www.hermann-historica.de/auktion/images60_max/03618.jpg
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 06:39:17 PM by Dave B »
Dave Blaisdell

Offline bgf

Re: Our Germanic heritage
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 12:56:20 AM »
Dave,
I agree with you about the resemblance.  In fact, there is such a heavy Germanic influence on some Virginia rifles that I've been led to wonder if they aren't in fact the product of wave after wave of recent immigrants who never even passed through Pennsylvania or Maryland, but simply adapted what they were used to building to available materials and local preferences, possibly with some reference to existing longrifles and/or fowling pieces.   Some of the characteristics of the so-called "transitional" rifle, for example, are seen well into the 19th century in SW Va. and points west.  Until we see the big book of Virginia rifles, it seems like they are treated as secondary and/or derivative when compared to PA rifles, but I suspect their development may as  interesting as and independent in many ways from their better understood northern counterparts.  The influence on and specifics of German immigration in Virginia (and the frontier to the west) has been inadequately studied (in fact it was purposely minimized for a good part of the 20th century), so I believe there is much to be learned still.  Anyway, just my uninformed opinion.

Offline WElliott

• member 2
Re: Our Germanic heritage
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 01:13:01 AM »
bgf, I agree.  I believe that many 18th and 19th century gunsmiths who worked in Virginia and further south never knew they had to first apprentice in Pennsylvania.  They brought a fully-developed craft skill with them from Europe, and those who were competent businessmen quickly adopted to the local market.
Wayne Elliott