Author Topic: Bess smooth bore guns  (Read 2483 times)

Offline Old Ford2

Bess smooth bore guns
« on: January 10, 2011, 02:58:07 PM »
Has anybody had any experience with the "new" modern made (India ???) Bess flintlock muskets?
The wood seems to be walnut, inletting is not the best ( but it is not a custom gun either)
Locks are warranted for one year.
I am concerned about the large amount of powder to be consumed, as BP is getting harder and harder to get here ( Ontario, Canada).
However I would like some first hand experience from some of you guys.
Best regards
Old Ford

Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Bess smooth bore guns
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 03:47:46 PM »
Has anybody had any experience with the "new" modern made (India ???) Bess flintlock muskets?
The wood seems to be walnut, inletting is not the best ( but it is not a custom gun either)
Locks are warranted for one year.
I am concerned about the large amount of powder to be consumed, as BP is getting harder and harder to get here ( Ontario, Canada).
However I would like some first hand experience from some of you guys.
Best regards
Old Ford

I would not buy one.
At one time they were advertising seamless tubing barrels.
So far as I know only one has blown up, this was with a blank charge.
If you need a Brown Bess get a Pedersoli. Its got a barrel made of actual gun barrel material.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 06:42:19 PM »
Old Ford -
  I've sent you a private message concerning my reasons you shouldn't buy one of these guns.  We have strict policies regarding libel on this forum and/or running down a maker, but at the same time, I feel it is important to gaurd our membership against poor and possibly dangerous workmanship.

I sincerely suggest no one purchase one if you intend to shoot it.  Unless this has changed, they come without vents drilled.  It is best they be left that way, in my honest opinion.

If you could get one for a couple hundred or maybe $300.00, then re-barrel & re-finish it, that would work out to a decent deal, if you can put up with poorly threaded & sloppy screw holes in the rest of the gun.

You should purchase a real gun barrel from Track or some other barel maker and install it or have someone else install it.  The "East Indian" breech theads are not standard size and the ones in my musket appeared to be hand filed - or something.  The plug is not properly shaped as the originals to begin with, as it has a flash-type-plate that seats flush against the rear of the barrel, instead of a tang and screw which is proper. This plate, I assume is to seal the leaking gasses due to the poor thread engagement of the breech.

I am going to post this and suggest to the other moderators that we lock this thread to prevent it going on and on - a warning form someone with direct experience with them is what was needed, not a drawn-out bash-session or argument in print.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 07:45:10 PM »
When in  doubt don't.     You may remember the old saying "She may look clean; but she ain't" ::)