Author Topic: P. Gonter attributed rifle for auction Wed. Jan. 12  (Read 4507 times)

loco219

P. Gonter attributed rifle for auction Wed. Jan. 12
« on: January 10, 2011, 10:19:28 PM »
If this is not the proper place please redirect this post. Wednesday, Jan 12, Frys Auction Hall in Pennsdale, Pa. There are two original longrifles in the sale. One percussion no name. One original flintlock attributed to P. Gonter.
I do not have the funds to go after it so I am merely passing on the info. I spoke to Alan Fry today and the gun has an appraisal and documentation attributing it to Gonter. I do not know the accuracy of the information, but Alan is a pretty serious longrifle collector. Sale starts at 4:30 pm, Alans cell is 570-419-1340. Hope someone here gets a chance at it !

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: P. Gonter attributed rifle for auction Wed. Jan. 12
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 10:42:09 PM »
Is this it?  Looks to be a fowler.  There is a rifle there also, looks a little later than this one.

Andover, Vermont

loco219

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 10:58:55 PM »
Probably the one, I did not go see them. He did not say it was a fowler, but I didn't ask. OOPS ! He has it advertised as a rifle, but you are probably right. Fry's auctions are worth going to, usually has some unadvertised "gems" that pop up. This area of Pa has alot of "treasure" squirreled away, and some really rare pieces seem to come through their door. Good luck if you are bidding !

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 12:06:59 AM »
Interesting gun, is there a picture of the cheek piece side?

Frank

loco219

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 01:50:11 AM »
Yes, if you go their website. The sale is tomorrow night, and the percussion gun looks good too, maybe a converted flint but my untrained eye cannot tell. Easiest way is to go to Auctionzip, then enter Frys Auction Hall In Pennsdale Pa. Click on the Photos option and there you go !

msmith

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 08:55:41 PM »
It might be a Gonter, however it does not look like the signed P. Gonter Fowler on page 221 of Grinslade's fowler book or the signed P. Gonter fowler  on this ALR museum, under Fowlers..The one on this site has several little circles at the breech and  at the transition from oct. to round on barrel...Seen Gonter fowler at auction a few years ago signed, that had these same circles.Can't see how the transition looks  like in Grinslades book..but he says they are a " Double row of decorative circles".Side plates are different also...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 08:58:37 PM by msmith »

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 10:29:13 PM »
Anybody know what price it fetched at auction?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

loco219

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 05:24:47 PM »
The Gonter attributed fowler ( it was a fowler) brought $2400
The percussion rifle brought $1300
Attendence was poor because of the snow storm.
I just talked to Alan this morning and he said there are more originals coming up for sale from this collection, some real dandies according to him. I will post here when I hear more.