Author Topic: North Carolina Longrifle Seminar at M.E.S.D.A.  (Read 2761 times)

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
North Carolina Longrifle Seminar at M.E.S.D.A.
« on: January 11, 2011, 01:44:55 AM »
The Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts (M.E.S.D.A.) in Winston-Salem, North Carolina have recently announced an upcoming seminar on North Carolina Longrifles on Saturday January 29th from 9:00 A.M. to 4 P.M.

William W. Ivey will give a presentation on the nine Longrifle Schools of North Carolina.  Bill will also be signing his book during the lunch period. 

Lunch is included in the price.

In the afternoon Blake Stevenson, the Manager of the Timothy Vogler Gun Shop (built in 1831) will give a presentation on the Longrifles in the Old Salem & M.E.S.D.A. collection titled Salem's Gunsmiths and the Vogler family of Artisans. 

At 2:30 there will be demonstrations on Engraving, Horn Turning, Leather Working, Metal Casting, Forging, and understanding Gun Stock Architecture.

The cost is $65 for non members, $55 for members of Old Salem.

Contact The Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts at 336-721-7360 to register or go to MESDAprograms@oldsalem.org.

I plan to attend and hope to meet many of you there.

C. Michael Briggs   
C. Michael Briggs

Offline WElliott

• member 2
Re: North Carolina Longrifle Seminar at M.E.S.D.A.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 03:36:46 AM »
Thank you for posting this, Mike.  I am going to try to make it.  For those within driving distance who have not been to MESDA, this museum is a treasure of Southern applied and fine arts and crafts.  What a great opportunity to both see this great museum and to hear from Bill Ivey, the acknowledged expert on North Carolina gunsmiths. 
Wayne Elliott

Arnie Dowd

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 06:14:58 AM »
Sure wish I could attend !!!  Arnie

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 03:16:57 PM »
I can't make that one, but for those of you going, make sure to get a look at the great iron mounted, stepped wrist gun they have on display there.  One of the earlier (1790s) iron mounted guns, and one of the few with decorative carving. 

Guy