Author Topic: Tinting or coloring epoxy  (Read 14943 times)

Offline t.caster

Re: Tinting or coloring epoxy
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2008, 11:14:55 PM »
TOF, I was with you until that last paragragh. I believe Beaverman was asking how some more experienced builders tinted epoxy. I didn't say my way was the ONLY WAY, just throwing out another way (idea).
Maybe that's the problem with this new forum....people with no names trampling everyone elses experience because they think there is the only one RIGHT way.  Their way! It curbs free expression! Used to be more respect around here. I haven't seen anything technically incorrect in your advice here....it's just your attitude.
I'll bet the builders 230 yrs. ago had to be extremely innovative, and so did I when I started building MLs 30 yrs ago, because the good information wasn't there like it is today. I didn't know you had to be a chemical engineer to build longrifles. Sheeesh!
Tom C.

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2008, 01:44:41 AM »
Didnt mean to start a throw down heres gents, the repiar that I need to make is a couple small dinkers around a toe plate inlet, no structual support needed, tried the oil base leather dye and got it close, the stock is a TC that I stripped down to bare wood for a refinish, had a hole drilled for one of those tc brass sling studs, made a brass toe plate to cover it so it would look better than filling the hole and having a very distinct plug in the finished product, thanks for all the advise guys, will experiment a bit more with the other processes, back to getting this one done and working on the Maple chunk for a full stock Ive been playing with for over a year now, Ive gleaned alot of info from you guys with the years of eperience and apprciate it very much, thanks again for sharing the secrets!

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2008, 05:57:46 AM »
The correct thinner for epoxy is Acetone.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

northmn

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2008, 01:47:17 PM »
Now for part two:  There is the old-world art of cold working called plannishing. You can use a small peening hammer and depending on whether you piece is thick or thin for which side to peen on, move the metal to the outside and re-file. This fills your gap. Thick steel, like the tang, peen with the flat end of the hammer along the outer edge, then dress up with a file. Original piece show the cold forging.
Susie

Been there done that on tangs and buttplates.  It also works as well as the dyes.  I have glued in plane shavings dyed to match and built up with them also.

DP