Author Topic: Building a Swivel Breech Pistol  (Read 56659 times)

ERH

Re: Building a Swivel Breech Pistol
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2011, 04:16:49 PM »
looking real good !!!! always wanted a swivel breach but out of my price range . keep the pic coming

Offline James

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2011, 06:22:17 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to post these. It all looks great. I just bought the book and will be tackling this in the future. You are in Norway? I spent some time in Bardufus (spelling?)  and Tromso. Beautiful country.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2011, 08:23:20 PM »
I have enjoyed watching this come together, and admire your tenacity and workmanship.
If I may, I'd like to make an observation regarding the lock.  The bridle over the tumbler comes above the forward upper edge of the lock plate, and that is going to cause inletting problems.  You may have to make new lock plates to totally enclose the internal parts.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2011, 08:51:04 PM »
Good observation Taylor.  My choices for a fix would be as follows depending the severity of the problem (difficult to tell from photographs).

Cut bridle down a touch
Weld hole in plate and make new bridle with screw hole lower, provided tumbler will clear
Make new plate or perhaps weld up edge of existing plate and work down

• Member 3
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2011, 08:57:33 PM »
...one more thing.  In the photo of the lock and barrels, it seems to me that the tail of the lock plate is going to end up way above the centre line of the stock.  Is there enough metal along the upper rear end of the plate, to file off the top, to drop the tail's relative position?
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline runastav

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2011, 12:02:28 PM »
Thank you ERH :) talkingamoeba, yes I live in south west Norway. Bardufoss is in north Norway, in 1975 I was in the army in Bardufoss you same time?
Jim Kibler thank you :)
D.Taylor Sapergia you are sharp-sighted ;)The reasen is Rolf and I use a scale down SB and lockplates for 3/4" barrels. I redused the hight of the bridle and screw, and drop the tails see photo.
The breech plug was monted by folloving page 22 in D. Waters book, photo shows cutting 2mm of the back barrel it is unsuported.
We like Jack Brooks beauteful swivel pistol, and vill use his stock profil :)
My pistol is much to heavy 1,5 Kilo so I must swamp barrels down

Runar

• Member 3
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2011, 08:52:36 PM »
Excellent!!
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2011, 09:04:39 PM »
I am so amazed this has been like watching a magic trick for me.

Coryjoe

Offline James

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2011, 11:44:27 PM »
runastav, I went over with the Marines in Sept 1988 on a ship. We were a Harrier squadron. We stayed on the ship in a fjord that time and provided close air support for the training operations. We went again in Feb-Mar of 1989 to the base at Bardufoss. Slept in tents and used the airfield and worked out of the caves there. Great experience. Best chocolate I've ever had came from a store there  ;D Saw the aurora for the first time too.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline runastav

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2011, 04:38:43 PM »
Thank you all! :)
One barrel is now swamped, weight redused from 506 Gram to 383 Gram it is a lot.I use my old RUMAG mill, and as you can see a 2mm drill take care of the taper ;) To dress up the muzzle I use my good old USA make Nicholson 12" file.
The photo show the different swamped and not.

Runar

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2011, 04:51:17 PM »
Very nice job on the swamping!
And not only will your pistol be lighter, but will look a lot more slim and trim with the swamped barrels.
Like the other guys, I'm really enjoying watching your progress with these great pictures!
John
John Robbins

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2011, 05:03:37 PM »
This has been an amazing post to follow, your craftsmanship is incredible.  And to top it all off, your humble as well, that's a nice quality.  :D

Trkdriver99

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2011, 08:28:07 PM »
The  talent of the Craftsmen on this site is simply amazing. I only wish that some of it would rub off on me. I have really enjoyed keeping up with this. Please keep it up.

Ronnie

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2011, 02:46:07 AM »
Runastav,

question for you, if I may?

When you were milling the octagon flats.. I can see you used the 2mm drill bit<under the muzzle end > to create the long taper. when you switched ends and milled for the muzzle end, what if any adjustments did you make/use?? 

was the 2mm bit used again( and where ? ) or did you need another diameter somewhere to create the sharper taper from the muzzle end, back into the transition area.

Gotta admit, your work is amazing and definitely has me looking for a set of barrels
and "my" copy of Dave's book ;)

Respect Always  and Thanks!!
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Offline runastav

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2011, 03:26:26 PM »
Thank you guys for all response :)
Metalshaper, it is the poor mens millingmetod ;)When milling the muzzle the 2mm drill is under the breech, and as you can see I left a litle of the octagon for lining upp.
this I file off at last.You see there is no High tec, øhhh exsept the hard metall mill whit worn tips I get free from a friend ;D Breech 3/4"-Waist 15mm-Muzzle 17mm
Ok, the barrels are now grinded and drawfiled see photo.

Runar

Offline Dale Campbell

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2011, 03:45:43 PM »
Hi Runar,

First, your English is great.  Thank you for posting your work and telling us about it.

I have really liked watching your progress.

Now comes the hard part.  That is waiting for your friend Rolf to make a stock he likes.  I think he will make seven.  The first three will be beautiful.  He will burn them.  The next three he will not burn, and will be put in museums in Oslo as works of art.  He will say they are not good enough.  The last he will keep, but explain to us all the faults. ;)

Have patience! ;D
Best regards,
Dale

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2011, 04:04:35 PM »
Thank you guys for all response :)
Metalshaper, it is the poor mens millingmetod ;)When milling the muzzle the 2mm drill is under the breech, and as you can see I left a litle of the octagon for lining upp. this I file off at last.You see there is no High tec,

Runar

Runar,

My shop is pretty much a "poor man's " operation as well. Or as friend Dave K tells me ,,  that "Your are just frugal" ;)  < another name for broke! >

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate you showing your work and explaining the processes. My Mill, and the Bigger one at my friends shop are both vertical models.
we'll need to make some adjustments, to get the same work done :D

Will be waiting and watching to see the finish!

Thanks Again
Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

doug

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2011, 01:14:01 AM »
      I am a bit puzzled; does the gun have a hooked breach that allows the barrels to be removed easily from the "receiver?

cheers Doug

Dave Waters

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2011, 01:48:01 AM »
Doug, I don't mean to jump in and steal the thread, but thats what I call a modified hook breech. It is a squared extension on the breech plug that has a 10 deg angled face (ramp) on the top side. A ball nosed screw bears against the ramp and pulls the breech back against the front swivel plate. I've found that it works very well and It does not require any of the careful fitting that a traditional hook breech required. Also it allows the easy removal of the barrel for cleaning and reassembles as tight as new.

Offline runastav

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2011, 02:03:07 PM »
Thank you guys, and Dave Waters for explanation here is photo. :)

The only original Germany made Swivel pistol I have worked on, have a very fragile fastening. A bigheaded screew hold the barrels see photo.

The trigger is prodused

Offline runastav

« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2011, 04:45:29 PM »
1-2-3 and it is finish ;)The curly maple is waiting patience he he, maybe I take a brake and work on my other project ALWAYS 3-4 laying :)

Runar

• Member 3
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2011, 09:13:04 PM »
You will get a much nicer trigger pull if you double the height of the lugs through which the trigger is pinned.  Ideally, you want the pivot to be at the same height as the scear screw...much better mechanical advantage, hence, much lighter trigger pull.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline runastav

« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2011, 12:52:34 AM »
Of course you have right Sapergia, I vill rebuild whith trigger tower same as Dave Waters use page 17 ;) You mean (sear screw) hmm?
Runar

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2011, 03:06:58 AM »
American: Sear
Canadian: Scear
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

• Member 3
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2011, 03:08:55 AM »
Actually, it was a typo, but "scear" is the old spelling - don't ask me "how old?"

You'll be happy you made the change!
D. Taylor Sapergia