Author Topic: Woods Walk, Feb. 6, 2011, Marbletown Sportsmen  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Maven

Woods Walk, Feb. 6, 2011, Marbletown Sportsmen
« on: January 13, 2011, 03:22:22 AM »
Cabin Fever setting in?  Come join Marbletown Sportsmen (125 Scarawan Rd., Stone Ridge, N.Y.) for a WOODS WALK Muzzleloader Shoot on Sunday, Feb.6, 2011 beginning at 9:30AM.  Any muzzleloading rifle/smoothbore may be used, but only with lead roundballs (jacketed bullets are too hard on our targets).   Registration will be $10 plus a blanket prize donation of $10.  The winner of the Woods Walk has first choice of what's on the blanket of course.  For more information, contact Rich Rockwell at 845-687-8750 or mzldr@aol.com  Hope to see you there!  :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 03:27:54 AM by pwbrasky »
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Maven

Re: Woods Walk, Feb. 6, 2011, Marbletown Sportsmen
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 12:04:02 AM »
Got back from the Cabin Fever shoot a little while ago and was very pleased with the turn out and variety of targets.  Although we only had 12 participants, 5 were not from our club, which is a good thing.  (Upon registering, we asked for and got e-email addresses so we can notify them in the future.) The targets ranged from playing cards on edge @ ~12 yds., to charcoal briquets on strings @ 25 yds., to a chain @ ~40 yds., and different sized gongs at ranges between 50 and 150 yds.  While I'd like to say I finished in the top 25%, alas, I did not (more like 6th).  However, I had a wonderful time and enjoyed being outdoors in almost balmy 45 deg. temperatures (sunny, no wind, but icy roads this AM).

Btw, I hit the chain and some of the gongs, including the 150 yd. one, but missed the briquet and only cut 1/3 of the playing card.  I was using an Indiana-made .50cal. Mowrey caplock rifle with .495" (.497" in fact) RB's which I cast and weighed.  The patching was .018" pillow tick thoroughly lubed (hand rubbed, then "nuked") with T/C Bore Butter*.  My powder was Graf/Wano FFFg, but I varied the charge to suit the distance.  Caps were ~40 yr. old Rem. #10's.  The Mowrey has been accurate,  completely reliable, and a pleasure to shoot offhand.

*I normally use spit patches, but given the spate of cold weather we've had, I thought one of the greasy lubes would be a better choice.  Any of the yellow, oil of wintergreen scented lubes have always worked well in my rifles. :)
Paul W. Brasky