Author Topic: Early Fowler  (Read 8434 times)

Offline Fullstock longrifle

Early Fowler
« on: January 13, 2011, 09:41:36 PM »
I thought you guys might enjoy seeing some pictures of a Fishbelly Fowler I picked up a while back.  It had been cleaned somewhat before I purchased it, but the cleaning wasn't significant.  It's similar to two fowlers shown in Grinslades book, including the unusual muzzlecap.  I've seen another fowler made by the same man that was dated in the 1740's, so I think the 1794 date on the thumb piece on mine is a later (period) addition.  Also note that it has a stud for a bayonet.

Frank

« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 09:46:42 PM by Fullstock »

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
Re: Early Fowler
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 09:56:15 PM »
How cool is that!  :)

Hudson Valley? Delaware Valley?  These guns hold a special place in my heart - my ancestors were Dutch who came in through New Amsterdam in the 1600s. 

Thanks for posting it.

Guy

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 10:42:55 PM »
That is a beauty! It sure has a lot of artistic touches that the average long fowler is lacking. The carving is unique and really shows a gifted hand that made it. Fine engraving and curly maple to boot! Very sweet! Thank you Frank for putting it up for us all to see.  What is the barrel length and style of the side plate? I for one would sure contemplate a reconversion to flint on this one. What say you sir!
Joel Hall

Offline debnal

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 10:55:16 PM »
Great fowler Frank. Maybe SE Mass or Rhode Island made. Much finer than the normal club butts you see.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 11:24:39 PM »
Hot diggety!  What gauge, length of barrel?  Thimbles ribbed, how many? Is there carving around the entry thimble? Sideplate?  More!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 11:58:18 PM »
Exceptional!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

msmith

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 12:00:17 AM »
Nice.....The hammer/cock looks similar to one of the converted locks in Grinslades book..Almost looks like the same man could have done the conversion, see page 102. Thanks for posting....
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 12:38:14 AM by msmith »

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 01:33:53 AM »
Here are a few more details and pictures as requested,  This is a hefty, big butted fowler, but surprisingly light and easy to handle.  It's 2 1/4 inches across the widest part of the butt and the barrel is 43 1/2 inches long.  I've shown this fowler to Tom Grinslade and he feels that it comes out of the same shop (maybe Connecticut?) as the other two in his book.  He said that mine was the third one known, but since I last talked to him, I've seen a 4th one that is spectacular.  It's untouched and has the exact same carving on the stock as mine, but more so.  Mine shows some misuse, and when I obtained it, it was shattered at the front of the lock and forearm. It also has some charring from burning to the forearm in a couple of places (what an interesting story that could make if you knew that story).  The forearm molding is nicely done and a little unusual.  Tom also suggests that the barrel is the original length, and the gun has had obvious militia usage based on the bayonet lug.  If you look closely at the unusual nosecap, you can see that it was made to support the bayonet when in place.  As you can tell, I like this gun!   ;D  

By the way, the sideplate is an old period replacement, the original would have been engraved with silver wings on it.  Rich, I'm not sure what the gauge is, but it has a large bore.  Joel, I know this would look better put back to flint, but I'm holding off on that, don't want to make any hasty decisions!

Frank

« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 02:00:42 AM by Fullstock »

Online DaveM

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 02:19:13 AM »
Frank, wow - what a beautiful gun!  One of the best I've seen.  Does it have a rear sight in addition to the front sight?

Dave

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 02:27:12 AM »
No rear sight, just a simple groove in the tang Dave.

Frank

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 02:28:01 AM »
    Some guys have all the luck, nice fined. thanks for the pic's    AL
Alan K. Merrill

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 06:41:43 PM »
My overall picture cuts the muzzle a little short, but the fowler only has three pipes.  One other interesting thing is that it has no trigger plate, just a hole in the wood for the trigger.

Frank

Offline Eric Laird

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 04:43:55 PM »
No trigger plate? That's interesting - is the tang screw a wood screw? Does it thread into the triggerguard? Are the other two (or three) similar guns also made without a trigger plate?
Eric
Eric Laird

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 05:58:43 PM »
I'm not sure about the other guns, but the tang screw on this one is just a simple wood screw, and doesn't go all the way through.  I've seen that done on a few rifles made in the Winchester Virginia area, but nowhere else.  The trigger just fits through a slit in the wood, simple but it's worked well for over 200 years.

Frank
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 05:59:52 PM by Fullstock »

Online jdm

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 07:30:02 PM »

What a great piece of history. Spectacular !  I'm with you Frank, wouldn't be in a big hurry to reconvert it. 
JIM

Offline satwel

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 06:51:56 PM »
That may not necessarily be a bayonet lug. It could be the original front sight. Sometimes, when fowlers were converted to percussion, the barrel was rotated one half turn and the drum threaded into fresh metal. The original vent was welded shut.

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 08:39:40 PM »
Thanks for letting us enjoy a charming piece of American history, Frank. Good find!
Wayne Elliott

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 08:54:54 PM »
The lug is thick and rectangular, so I don't think it was a front sight.  Also, there is no sign of any barrel lugs being welded or moved.  But I guess I could be wrong, other opinions?

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 11:28:20 PM »
Frank,
I've heard that about turning the barrel also, but have never seen one that was actually turned.

If you think about having to readjust the tang and relocate the barrel lugs, it just doesn't make much sense to go to all the trouble. Much easier to just bore out the flint touch hole to install a drum.

However, anything is possible!

John
John Robbins

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 12:20:29 AM »
I agree with you John, and yes, anything is possible, but the amount of work that would be created by turning over a barrel would seem to far out weigh simply enlarging the touch hole and installing a drum.  By the way, I've never seen an old gun that has had the barrel turned over like that to percussion it, but I'm sure it could have been done somewhere along the way.

Frank
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 12:21:39 AM by Fullstock »

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 06:25:49 AM »
Fascinating!  I too, had Dutch ancestors in New Amsterdam, some arriving as early as 1629.  Seeing a gun like this conjures up a lot of visuals.  I'd love to think that the Tietsoorts and vanderLindes owned guns like this.