Author Topic: Just finished this beast  (Read 9006 times)

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
Just finished this beast
« on: October 07, 2008, 06:33:03 AM »
Well, this guy wanted a Rev War American made musketoon.  HAD to have barrel bands (I will NEVER build a gun with barrel bands again as long as I live!!!!). 

I finally got everything figured out, after much consternation.  I came up with a pretty ingenious little gizmo to get the ramrod up a bit higher so that I would have plenty of wood underneath it in the fore arm without haveing to fishbelly it and make it even thicker than it already was.  A little brass bit that goes inside the rear barrel band, guiding the rod into position.

The front band was a nightmare, but I finally got it worked out.

The stock blank was probably the heaviest piece of wood I have ever had.  Couple this with the HEAVY barrel, and the resulting gun is also rather weighty.  I think it handles well despite this, however.

The stock is super hard, heavy sugar maple.  Stained with my own Aqua Fortis, and finished with probably 4 applications of real, genuine, boiled linseed oil.  Grain nicely filled.  Pedersoli lock and barrel and bands.  The brass is from Goehring.  The sideplate I cut from an old door hinge, snaking the design around the screw holes.

The relatively short breech tang and the position of the screw hole forced me to silver solder an iron boss onto the triggerguard, and the breechplug screw threads into it.

www.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Fatdutchman/Flintlocks/Musketoon
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 06:42:49 AM by Stophel »
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Dave B

Re: Just finished this beast
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 07:19:33 AM »
Nice job on the piece. I am not familiar with the term Muskatoon. Is it used by artilery folks or mounted troops? I know....They were used by the Three Muskatoon's. ;D ;D Were they ever  set up for a bayonet? It looks to be a right handy length and will be quick to point.
Dave Blaisdell

Buffler Razz

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 11:30:11 AM »
Very nice. She does look massive thru the wrist.
Razz

Roy S.

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 02:48:40 PM »
Good work ,  I like it. 

Dave Marsh

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 03:18:31 PM »
Really a beauty.  I too am curious about the term Muskatoon.  Thanks for posting the pictures.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 03:38:16 PM »
 It does look substantial, not a bad thing for a musketoon, very well done and nicely finished.  I have to give you LOTS of credit for those bands, I made a replacement stock for a CW rifle ONCE. I thought it would be simple, yea right.

Tim C.

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 04:03:25 PM »
Really a beauty.  I too am curious about the term Muskatoon.  Thanks for posting the pictures.

J N George described the musketoon as a gun taking the middle place between a shotgun and a blunderbuss. It was designed for firing slugs mainly rather than shot. It was made for close range work and was in sort a long range blunderbuss. It had a barrel longer than a coaching blunderbuss.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 04:09:25 PM »
Geeze, Chris, for all your whining, that is a great piece, with wonderful colour. I also like the fat butt contours. A little use and some dings, this will look like an original. Very nice.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 05:09:21 PM »
Chris, 
Great looking musket.  I personally like to build American muskets.  They offer a lot of freedom in design and material if you go into the project with the idea behind it that you are doing a salvage job.  By that I mean an American soldier finds a broken British gun on the battlefield, or any gun or amount of hardware for that matter, collects the parts and brings it to a gunmaker in town who restocks the collection of parts.  You still have some parameters but also a lot of artistic freedom.  Nicely done.  I have thought about making a project with barrel bands and someday may give it a try.
DMR

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 05:35:05 PM »
Great job on the castoff, too.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 05:57:42 PM »
"Musketoon" is basically equivalent to saying "carbine", though a musketoon might be used by other types of soldiers other than horsemen. 

The stocking is  large all-over by necessity.  Big barrel, big lock, wide barrel bands.  Just kind of "scaled up", but still proportional, I think, except for the fat forearm, which I couldn't help.  I had to match the barrel band.

The barrel band is singularly the worst method of attaching a barrel to a stock.  Period.  Plus, you have to fit the barrel bands, shape the fore end, and THEN you can cut the ramrod groove....
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Longknife

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 06:09:53 PM »
Ed Hamberg

Offline TPH

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 06:32:36 PM »
....  HAD to have barrel bands (I will NEVER build a gun with barrel bands again as long as I live!!!!). 

Chris, you did VERY well, an interesting combination of parts but quite justifiable considering the period, I like it! Now, the bands? I have built at least 10 guns with barrel bands (number 11 ion progress now) and I agree, every time I whine and gripe .... A LOT! But don't worry, it doesn't get any easier, you just get used to it. ;) Keep up the beautiful work.
T.P. Hern

Offline TPH

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 06:38:25 PM »
Ed, I'm not sure that I agree with Wikopedia, a musketoon is a musket bore short gun, a carbine is a short gun with a carbine bore. In England terms that would mean a musketoon would be a short barreled gun with a .75 caliber barrel, a carbine would be similar in length to the musketoon but lighter in size and have a bore of .65. Confusing, isn't it?
T.P. Hern

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 07:50:11 PM »
Period firearm terms are nebulous at best.  I know the desire to cubbyhole everything into a specific category is strong.  I don't worry about it anymore.  ;)

Offline TPH

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 08:00:04 PM »
Period firearm terms are nebulous at best.  I know the desire to cubbyhole everything into a specific category is strong.  I don't worry about it anymore.  ;)

Right you are.
T.P. Hern