Author Topic: Lock  (Read 15987 times)

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Lock
« on: January 15, 2011, 12:53:22 AM »
Here are a few photos of the lock I recently built.  It's a mid eighteenth century british lock based on one by John Harman.  Everything is pretty close to the original except the cock.  The original cock has had some work and reshaping done to it and is not representative of what it would have been originally.  This lock still needs to be engraved and case hardened.  Sorry for the poor photography.  Seems to look better when viewing it in hand.  Oh, when adding photos, a rifle I built a year or so ago caught my eye so I included it as well.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Jim

northmn

Re: Lock
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 01:00:14 AM »
Very interested on details on building the lock.  How many hours etc.

DP

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 01:02:35 AM »
Jim,
Nice work on both lock and rifle. Let me know when you go into production on the lock, love the looks of it!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Dave Waters

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 01:03:21 AM »
Beautiful! Great craftsmanship!!! Curious, what grit is the finish?

Offline bp

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 01:21:23 AM »
Very nice.
Is that a roller on the mainspring foot?
Bruce

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 01:38:25 AM »
Where did you get that buttplate, or did you cast it yourself?

Coryjoe

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 01:54:41 AM »
    Don't you just love locks and this is a great one. How does she spark?  Are you going to be making more of these locks to sell?    Love your carving.    AL
Alan K. Merrill

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 02:04:43 AM »
 WOW Jim, great detail, looks very tight and the finish is top of the line, very elegant.  Outstanding workmanship.

Tim C.   

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 02:19:24 AM »
Jim: Both lock and gun look great, both look like I have come to expect coming out of you shop. Top notch in every respect. I am sure every one would like to see more of the gun. What type of build is the lock going on? Will look forward to more.    Gary

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 02:31:23 AM »

Not French enough to me!  ;D ;) :D

Super work Jim! I am still comparing it to the Harmon lock pics. WONDERFUL

James

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 02:31:35 AM »
Hi Jim,
Your lock is really impressive, but what I drool over is your carving!  I never tire of looking at your decoration.
Regards,
PLetch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 03:23:09 AM »
Thanks everybody :)  The lock is going on a fowling piece based on one built by John Harman of London likely in the 1750's.  Number of hours to build the lock?  That's a tough question, but I have at least six weeks in it and probably a little more than that.  I had to re-make the sear since it cracked when being hardened and the mainspring since it cracked shortly after being installed.  The mainspring does have a roller on the tip.  The frizzen has a roller as well.  Grit of finish?  Probably somewhere around 320-400 right now.  I may finish it a touch finer before engraving, but I don't polish to a really high finish as it looks out of place to me.  No sparks yet as the frizzen hasn't been hardened.   It's made of mild steel and will be carburized with the cock, plate etc.  The butplate shown on the rifle is one of Reeve's that has been resphaped a tad.  It started as one he took from a German rifle.  I'm not sure the number, but it is similar to the one he took from his Virginia rifle with the feather like carving.  Anyway I beat the heel out some and put some additional curve in it.  Thanks again guys!

Jim

Offline Ben I. Voss

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 03:44:27 AM »
Alright, where do I go to sign the pact with the devil so I can do that too?! Beautiful work, Jim.

greybeard

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 03:59:27 AM »
Gorgeous work to be sure. Near brings a tear to me eye with that carving .

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 04:50:42 AM »
Wow, beautiful work on both pieces. It always amazes me what a beautiful piece of art a lock can be.

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 05:09:28 AM »
Let's see....six weeks of work at $18 per hour. (A modest wage for a skilled worker.)  That would put the price of the lock at $4,320, and it would be a bargin at that price.  Absolutely beautiful work.  And, the carvin ain't bad either.

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 09:22:24 AM »
Mr Kibler:  As usual your workmanship is outstanding!  In admiration - Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2011, 12:42:33 PM »
Nice!

I love the subtle tones of the finish. and the balance is beautiful.

Best Regards,
Albert A Rasch
Albert A Rasch In Afghanistan™

hoochiepapa

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 01:32:18 AM »
Beautiful!! Both!

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 08:59:20 AM »
That carving is a bit more, in my opinion, than great craftsmanship. Clean, perfect coverage and flow. Those little dots and teardrops immensely time consuming to clean up. The little teardrops representing traditional minor attached scrolls. It's beyond that. It's a work of art. Well within the frame of tradition yet entirely unique.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011, 09:52:40 PM »
Jim thanks for showing us the pictures of your lock and the rifle. It hs been a pleasure to admire your work and to watch you work at WKU. You are a true and dedicated craftsman and I hope that your talents get even better over time if that is possible. 8)
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 04:04:05 AM »
Jimmy, thanks for sharing your superb work.  Outstanding in all regards!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 04:26:34 AM »
Looks great Jim. Keep up the good work.

Online Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2011, 04:32:06 PM »
Golly, I'd be trying to figure out a way to mount that lock so I could see the inside as well as the outside! Really nice!! How do you achieve that black oxidized look on the wood? Thanks for showing both.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2011, 05:20:12 PM »
Robby,

I don't remember for sure, but the color you mentioned is most likely just soot worked into the finish.  The idea is to build up layers and not try to do too awful much all at once.  Also I've found it's best to get as much color on the stock as early in the finish process as possible as the wood provides a place fro the color to grab hold of.  When doing this type of work, I've also found it best to use almost a dry brush technique and use very little finish when building up the layers of color.

Thank again everyone.  Please just ask if you think I can help.  Over the years people have been extremely helpful to me and I'll gladly pass on what I can.  Hope these photos have maybe sparked some ideas and interest.

Good luck,
Jim