Author Topic: Is this an American Lock?  (Read 4311 times)

Steppenwolf

Is this an American Lock?
« on: January 16, 2011, 02:39:46 AM »
Folks,

I have been looking on-line at a musket that I think is a bitser.   It looks like someone took some India Pattern Bess parts, some 1839 Tower Musket parts and threw a flintlock on it.   It may have some New Land Pattern parts on it but the barrel is 39" not 42".   I think the lock may be American.   Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 02:42:27 AM by Steppenwolf »

Offline Joey R

Re: Is this an American Lock?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 03:13:34 AM »
At first glance it looks to have some Harper's Ferry lock characteristics. But I'm no lock historian either. Good Luck!
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 03:40:26 AM »
The lock looks French to me.

Frank

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 07:29:23 AM »
Could be someone filed the "Harpers Ferry" off and left the date.
One must remember that many early US martial guns looked very French.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 05:35:42 PM »
It certainly look as if the marking has been filed off the tail of the lockplate. That groove is not something that is seen as a conventional decorative feature. I don't know if it said "Harpers Ferry" but it certainly said something. It isn't French simply because they were not marked with the date as that one is although, as Dan says, early American locks were copied from French ones. Sometimes the only way to tell the difference is that French locks were virtually always marked and American ones, by some of the various early contractors, weren't.

Also, the fact that the armory name has been filed off probably suggests that it was taken/stolen a very long time ago. Long enough ago so that the person who filed the name off suspected he'd be in hot water if caught with it.

What are the proofs on the barrel? It may not be an Ordnance musket at all. Tens of thousands of India pattern "clones," with varying degrees of adherence to the pattern, were made for private sale and a huge number of these came to the US. In fact, with that lock, it is very unlikely that it is an Ordnance gun, much less a modified New Land Pattern.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 05:59:10 PM »
Lock has been reworked by the look of it, frizzen spring anyway and is likely not original to the gun.
But its hard to tell from a photo.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

pault5

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 07:37:51 PM »
It looks American to me, but check out "United States Martial Flintlocks " by Robert M. Reilly.you should find this a big help.
Paul

Steppenwolf

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 01:54:31 AM »
Thanks guys, it gives me a place to start:-)