Author Topic: Press-on Cappers  (Read 2943 times)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Press-on Cappers
« on: January 18, 2011, 02:18:01 AM »

I made these a while back because I've never liked the brass kind.  One holds musket caps for mt US M1841 and the other holds #!! for my Crockett.  Very plain but they do the job; maybe not primitive, but then again, who knows?
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Online smylee grouch

Re: Press-on Cappers
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 03:40:53 AM »
I have a couple that are almost identicle except I have a slit cut from each hole to the outside edge. Seems to work OK.  Gary

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 03:58:03 AM »
These work very well indeed.  I made one for my first Hawken rifle back in the late 70's and it's still going strong.  I make mine from thick leather that is as tick as the cap is long.  Then a backing disc gets sewn on, and the edges of the thick disc as slit to allow the cap to be pulled sideways out of the disc.  They hang upsidedown so they stay relatively dry.  Here's my first and also the new one for my Zouave rifle.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

omark

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 04:42:21 AM »
i carry cappers like that tied to my trigger guard when hunting. faster than looking for a capper in my bag when reloading. i do keep a brass capper in my bag for spares or if the ones in the leather get wet.   mark

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 01:05:51 AM »
Now that's a might beyond what I'm able to do.  When I make something "primitive" I'm not referring to HC/PC but to my pitiful attempts - like a third grader's class project.  I may work up to that level but have to run field tests for a while to see if mine cut the mustard.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.