Author Topic: Barrel lugs for round barrels  (Read 3687 times)

Offline bob hertrich

Barrel lugs for round barrels
« on: January 19, 2011, 02:26:26 AM »
I am building a pistol with a oct/round barrel. I purchased a round barrel lug from MLBS. It just seems to be rather thick. After soldering do you file it down? If so how much? Is there a better way to attach a lug to a round barrel?

M.D.H.

Re: Barrel lugs for round barrels
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 03:02:58 AM »
Bob,
The best thing to do is to slightly curve a flat bottom underlug.  Place it in the vice so the ends are about 1/2 way over the vise edges.  Then place a big drill bit end on the underlug and strike it once with a hammer.  This should bend the ends just enough to follow the radius of the barrel. 
Been doing this for a while and it is a whole lot better then the ones your trying to use.
M

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 04:36:42 PM »
Wrap some sand paper around your barrel where you plan to install the lug and sand your lug thinner with the same curve as the barrel.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 05:01:51 PM »
I dovetail all my lugs, round or octagon.  Find the bottom center of the barrel and then file a shallow .030 dove tail.  Install the lug, hit it with a little silver bearing solder and then file the lug flush with the barrel contour.  The lugs on  the Brown Bess were dovetailed and brazed.
DMR

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 06:31:35 PM »
Bob, once your lug is attached to the barrel, it can be filed down to 1/32 or less - it doesn't need much thickness to do it's job.

northmn

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 07:03:50 PM »
For round barrel fowlers I make my own lugs out of thinner sheet metal, usually brass.  You ben it over to form a T, then file it even thinner and then put the bend in it.  Sometimes making this stuff is easier than using the bought stuff.  I have soldered thm on with 50/50 solder with excellent results adn use a silver solder with a higher melting point to form the lug but have also just used the regular solder as it resets.

DP

Offline bob hertrich

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 06:38:26 PM »
Thanks, guys. A lot of good advice. I just have to pick one and get going.