Author Topic: Caplock/flintlock barrel question  (Read 3113 times)

Offline Scout

• Mongrel Rifle School of North Florida
Caplock/flintlock barrel question
« on: January 19, 2011, 05:02:38 AM »
I have a CVA .50 cal caplock mountain rifle. The screw-in drum that is tapped for the nipple has been taken off ( unscrewed). This leaves a threaded hole ( #10 metric and just a bit larger than 3/8" on the side of the barrel). I found a touch hole liner from TOTW that will fit. My question is will this work as a flint rifle barrel as far as lining up with the lock? I have a source for a flintlock that will work on this rifle.

Any forseeable issues anyone can help me with?
She ain't Purdy but she shoots real good !

Offline Swampwalker

Re: Caplock/flintlock barrel question
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 06:42:59 PM »
Ole, you can't assume it's going to line up correctly with a standard center drilled touch hole liner.  You're going to have to get the lock, installit in the rifle, and see if it lines up.  If it doesn't, you may have to make your own liner drilled off-center to correctly line up.

northmn

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 07:00:31 PM »
Ole, you can't assume it's going to line up correctly with a standard center drilled touch hole liner.  You're going to have to get the lock, installit in the rifle, and see if it lines up.  If it doesn't, you may have to make your own liner drilled off-center to correctly line up.

Been there done that on several rifles.  Used to realign touch holes for some production flintlocks for others.

DP

Offline Scout

• Mongrel Rifle School of North Florida
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 08:21:27 PM »
So,  weld up the existing hole if it don't lineup?
She ain't Purdy but she shoots real good !

keweenaw

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 09:52:11 PM »
This is actually more complicated that it first appears because the CVA drum has a long extension on it that screws into the side of the breech plug.  If you simply put a liner in the side of the barrel you will end up with a void in the breech plug that is connected by a relatively small hole with the bore that may or may not fill with powder when you load the gun.  Besides making ignition highly unreliable, it will make the breech area almost impossible to get clean and dry.  A much better solution would be to cut off the rear of the barrel and fit a flintlock patent breech.  I would advise you  to not try to turn it into a flintlock by simply installing a vent liner.

Tom