Author Topic: Pouch, Horn, & Haversack  (Read 7633 times)

eagle24

Pouch, Horn, & Haversack
« on: January 19, 2011, 06:30:11 AM »
This is a bag made very loosely based on the Richard Allen bag.  Live Oak Cowhide, 3/4" strap with brass buckle, antler button, and stitched with linen thread.  The horn was made by Jeff Bibb.

The haversack I made last year, but with a canvas strap that was too long, too narrow, and not adjustable.  I cut it off and made a wider adjustable leather strap so the bag would ride much higher.  The bag is canvas and waterproofed with beeswax and linseed oil.  I made the little pouch to hold 3 brass shot chargers that I got from Dave Crisalli.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 06:31:52 AM by GHall »

Trkdriver99

Re: Pouch, Horn, & Haversack
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 03:27:44 PM »
Very nice Sir.

Ronnie

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 04:14:21 PM »
That would all work just fine for me.

Brett.

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 07:10:15 PM »
 Good look'n outfit Greg.

Tim C.

Jefferson58

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 12:04:37 AM »
Nice set there, Greg. Knowing the size of that horn, the pouch is pretty small, but very appropriate. It looks good, and I see the resemblance to the original you mentioned. A scaled-down version, so to speak...

I like the haversack as well. I have not tried bees wax and linseed oil as a coating, but may have to do so.

Thanks for sharing it.

Jeff

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 04:24:26 AM »
     Great looking set. You do some fine work,keep it up.    AL
Alan K. Merrill

eagle24

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 05:25:23 PM »
Jeff,

The pouch is 7" x 8".  I think the picture might make it look smaller than that.  The basic design/look as far as shape, flap, and button, I based off the original pouch and that's about it.  I've never seen anything but the picture in the American Traditions magazine so I had no clue about the size or how the pouch was constructed.  Not that I was trying to make a copy anyway.

greybeard

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 06:22:34 PM »
Great set. How about a pic of the gun that goes with it. Bob

eagle24

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 08:18:14 PM »
Great set. How about a pic of the gun that goes with it. Bob
If you do a search on here there is a thread I posted when I finished the rifle last fall that has more pics, but here is one.

hoochiepapa

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 02:22:29 AM »
I would greatly appreciate the beeswax mix formula you used. I have my old boy scout haversack that I use hunting, and would like to waterproof it.

eagle24

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 09:08:59 PM »
I would greatly appreciate the beeswax mix formula you used. I have my old boy scout haversack that I use hunting, and would like to waterproof it.

Wasn't really a formula.  After completing the haversack last year, I gave it a good coat of boiled linseed oil and hung it in the shade to dry for a week or so.  I wasn't satisfied with the waterproofing so I decided to try some beeswax.  I melted pure beeswax in a stainless bowl on the grill and brushed it onto the bag with a bristle brush.  It dries before is soaks into the canvas and makes a real mess.  Then I took an old cast iron iron.  Heated it on the grill as well and ironed the wax into the bag.  It took about a week of messing with it to limber it up and it was still stiff.  Took it out of the closet this fall and what do you know it was nice and flexible and didn't feel all waxy.  Turns water great and is working out well for me.

Codger

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 09:33:30 PM »
Greg;
Those rectangular bags have caught my eye lately. Never made one, may'haps it's time to sew one up  ;) I like the simple style.
Nice work.
Don

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 01:31:59 AM »
I use a heat gun to work the bee's wax in after a good soaking and letting dry the BLO
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

omark

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 06:31:01 AM »
when i first started coming to this site i suggested blo for waterproofing a coat and was told that it was extremely flammable.  was i mistold or what am i missing?    mark

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 08:07:10 PM »
If you ball up the material with wet BLO on it,it will spontaniously combust. dried,there is no problem. If you use a rag to apply it,lay it out flat untill COMPLETELY dried,or put it in a bucket of water.
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!