Author Topic: Can't seem to identify this rifle.... maybe PA?  (Read 8615 times)

oldeaglescout65

Can't seem to identify this rifle.... maybe PA?
« on: January 19, 2011, 07:16:34 PM »
 http://s1090.photobucket.com/albums/i364/oldeaglescout65/Long%20rifle/

No markings anywhere.  Think it used to be a flintlock but has possibly been converted.

oldeaglescout65

Re: Can't seem to identify this rifle.... maybe PA?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 07:20:14 PM »
Even if it can't be identified, is it worth anything? 

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 09:18:16 PM »
Looks originally percussion at this distance.  No regional details, no signature, so dollar value is limited.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 09:34:44 PM »
Bucks County?  Those colour transfers certainly added later and the one on the wrist Iron Cross - German!

oldeaglescout65

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 10:16:13 PM »
Someone told me it might be a Berks or Dauphin county?  Because of the stock shape.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 11:40:16 PM »
Berks Co. or upper Susquahanna, PA, might  be a good guess, based on the curved comb. Small guard with wide bow was used in that area over to Philadelphia. Gun appears to have been a flintlock originally, based on the old cut above the current lock plate for the flint cock clearance above the top edge of the lock plate, and what appears to be a longer mortise at the nose of the lock plate for a slightly longer original lock. I'd guess mid-1820s to early 1830s era. Sometimes those later stickers, or emblems, on  the front butt signify the gun was used in early 20th century shooting matches. Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 11:40:43 PM by Tanselman »

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 12:48:16 AM »
Is that a Civil War corp badge emblem on the wrist?  The other emblem looks like it might be an eagle. Maybe a Civil War vet owned this rifle and put the emblems on it to honor his service?  Nice crisp rifle, too bad it doesn't have a box, but it's still nice none the less.

Frank

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 01:14:38 AM »
The area in front of the lock looks to be possibly filled and the lock bolt hole plugged at least to my eye. I was thinking it looked like there was a hole for a bolt on the opposite side but perhaps that is just the plug showing that fills the bolt hole. Looks like a possible Berks trigger guard to me or at least it started life that way. A bunch of the rear spur on the back of the bow has been removed so the grip rail could be sucked up tight against the gun. It appears to have been built this way. Over all Id say it looks pretty close to a lot of original plain guns Ive seen hanging for sale at Dixons over the years and most of those were likely made in that area to Reading ...but who knows.

oldeaglescout65

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 04:35:29 AM »
http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=235241

Thanks to you all!  I found this after reading what you posted.  I wouldn't have look for it without you guys!  Thanks so much.  Have a blessed day!

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 07:15:28 AM »
Old Eagle, didn't quite follow your last post but anyway it is a rifle with nice Eastern Pennsylvania architecture, probably had been flint converted using a new lock & I personally rather like it.

oldeaglescout65

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 02:05:36 PM »
The article I put the link to talks about the PA rifles and the fact that they had German influence.  All the things have been saying about the rifle.  My wife wants to hang it on the wall, but if it's got value I think it should live in the gun safe!

Offline smshea

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 03:52:04 PM »
Is there any back story? Was it in your family or did you acquire it recently?

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 04:10:19 PM »
Your wife is right, this time anyway. Put it on the wall!
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

oldeaglescout65

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 04:27:13 PM »
My father-in-law got it about 20 years ago.  A customer of his had it and gave it to him.  Hang it on the wall???  It must not be of any value then I suppose.  Anyone have a clue of it's worth?

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 05:43:24 PM »
My father-in-law got it about 20 years ago.  A customer of his had it and gave it to him.  Hang it on the wall???  It must not be of any value then I suppose.  Anyone have a clue of it's worth?
Worth ::)  Youhave heard this before - It's worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it ;D

oldeaglescout65

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 06:17:42 PM »
I can't argue with that!  But it would be nice to have a ballpark figure on it's worth.

Offline smshea

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 09:12:13 PM »

Most  folks are not going to go out on a limb and guess the worth of a gun like that. Too many variables. Seeing it in hand will give a better idea than looking at pictures...but even then? Location, interest and demand  also matter as far as price. Guns like that are bringing much more than they were even a few years ago. But like roger said,"whatever someone is willing to pay you for it".
  I can tell you that I saw a gun at two different antique gun shows a few years ago that would broadly fit into the category of what you have there. It was $400.00 at the first show and $300.00 at the next and  then sold. The next time I saw it, it was $1200.00. I have no Idea if it sold, But I would not be shocked. Please don't take that to mean that the gun was actually worth any of these numbers, just that the value changes depending on who is looking at it. If you were to take a gun like that to, lets say Dixons Muzzleloading shop and try to sell it on consignment, they would give you an idea of what they might be able to sell it for based on what similar items have sold for out of their store in the past, but that is not to say that it might not be worth more of less elsewhere.....so it all depends. Having said that, I would proudly display it on the wall and enjoy it!   

oldeaglescout65

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2011, 05:25:19 AM »
I guess the best thing to do is leave it in the condition it is in right now and try to pretty it up?

Offline smshea

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 05:38:15 AM »
Leave it just as it is. Cleaning it could do more harm than good.

hoochiejohn

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 08:36:24 AM »
Could the emblem on the wrist be the Maltese Cross  ???...it was the emblem of the 155th.
Pennsylvania  Co. K ; a Zouave unit from Western PA 1862-1865 ???  Just my 2d.
Shreck

oldeaglescout65

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 12:12:33 AM »
It is a gold Maltese cross.  I can't make out the emblem on the stock, it's green and gold.  May try to find info on the 155th and see if they had an emblem.  Thanks so much!

oldeaglescout65

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2011, 01:03:51 AM »

http://155thpa.tripod.com/index.html

This link is what I found if anyone is interested!  The monument has the same cross.