Author Topic: 200 yard round ball match, again  (Read 8000 times)

VAshooter

200 yard round ball match, again
« on: January 20, 2011, 11:38:03 PM »
Are you guy's going to have the 200 yard round ball match in 2011?

If so then I have a private range available in central Virginia for anyone that wants to give it a go. After it warms up, of course.

VAshooter

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: 200 yard round ball match, again
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 12:23:15 AM »
I sure would like to participate again in a 200 yd, match.  I've got a good gun for it on the bench as we speak...62 cal. percussion S. Hawken.  Look out Daryl!!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 12:59:13 AM »
I'm a lookin'.

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 05:20:34 AM »

Can't your just feel the accuracy...!!!
D. Taylor Sapergia

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 06:19:02 AM »
I'm in.  I have my .54 Plains rifle under a rebuild project right now.  Don't know how I'll match up with Taylor & Daryl, but I'm going to find out.  Should be good fun! :)

Harnic

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 07:55:18 AM »
Can't your just feel the accuracy...!!!

Looking good Taylor!  I look forward to seeing & hopefully shooting it at Heffley Creek this August.  I had planned on building one too, but with being off work for a couple months starting tomorrow, I can't afford the parts.  I ordered a Rice 58 cal barrel for my fullstock flint Hawken which will lighten the barrel over a pound from it's current weight as a 50.  Keep us posted on your progress Taylor, I'll check when I get home from hospital in a week or so.

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 05:35:49 PM »
Harry- that .58 of yours and Taylor's .62 should make 200 yards, if you put about 130gr. of 2F in them- you can shoot them of course.  I don't like recoil. ;D

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 01:18:39 AM »
Harry, it was great to talk with you the other day...I wish you the best of luck with your time at the horse-pistol, and a full and speedy recovery.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 02:37:34 AM »
Taylor: The view from here looks great. Is that a two piece butt plate and is the molding under the cheek an idea from an original?   Gary

Offline Telgan

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 02:40:40 AM »
Nice chunk of wood too.

Al Lapp

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 05:53:51 AM »
Taylor;
  Rifle looks great. Would sure like to see some pictures when its finished.   Al

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 08:35:25 AM »
As much as I appreciate the interest in this unbeatable 200 yd. rifle, we have to be careful here, not to steal the thread.  So lets leave this Hawken rifle until I open a thread about it specifically, and until then, I'll post a picture of the cheek piece of the original that is my inspiration.

Yes, the original appears to me to have a paneled cheekpiece...and a cast steel or iron butt plate.  I used the Bridger plate (bought it at Dixon's store in '09) and filed out the little curvy transition at the joint of the butt plate return and the vertical plane, to make it look like the one in the photo.  It is a superlative piece of rock hard NY maple.

D. Taylor Sapergia

Leatherbelly

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 12:50:00 AM »
With my smoothbore, the blade covers the whole target at 200 yards! What to do?! :o Hey,as a side line, why don't ya host a 100 yard smoothbore contest? Same target, but the prizes should be better!
  Even Hatchet Jack can hit a grade A large egg with his 20 bore smooth @ 75 yards! Up here we have the "Smoothbore Shooter of the Universe" contest and it was left vacant in 2010.(That's another long story) Maybe we could fill that vacancy for 2011 and invite our 'Merican brutha's to partake in this?  This prestigious competition could be open to you Yanks but take heed! The Canucks have "smoothbore" in our very blue blood gene pool so  it might be senseless to apply! So further more not to hi-jack this thread, good luck to you rifled jack handle shooters and remember, "Smoothbores Rule!"  ;D ;:P ;D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 06:42:56 AM by Leatherbelly »

Offline whitebear

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 08:41:43 AM »
I would be willing to get in on this.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

VAshooter

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 06:18:24 PM »
Leatherbelly,

I can't speak for all the matches in the US but as for an event in central Virginia, I see no reason why we couldn't have a 100 yard smoothbore match as well. I don't have a smootbore but that doesn't mean I don't want one.

We could also have a chunk gun match if enough people show up.

We can shoot for fun at no cost or for prizes paid for by entry fees.

VAshooter

Leatherbelly

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 08:49:39 PM »
VAshooter,
  I was just pulling the rifle untermench's chain,but I'd be up for a smoothie shoot. Perhaps I'm a little jealous about not having a heavy rifle to shoot this match. I have a little hunting rifle in .50 that if I replaced the wood ramrod with a piece of drill rod it might make it a tad steadier on the hold.Hmm?
  Got my new .62 smoothie the other day so will need some range time to dial 'er in. Next week will order parts for a cherry stocked 28ga. Fusil that will be my first build,yikes I'm scared!

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 07:09:24 PM »
That's a very interesting idea, VaShooter.  I've got a .54 that I finished last summer that I've been working with, though I confess I'm still working up to 100 yards.  Where abouts in Virginia are you )?   I'm down in Norfolk.

VAshooter

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 11:53:00 PM »
I'm just west of Richmond but the range is in Buckingham County. We can accommodate about twenty shooters per relay and the range goes back to 400 yards.

VAshooter

Daryl

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 05:32:09 AM »
Tighter combination (maybe), more powder - shooting 200 yards will be fun!  If the rifle has fixed sights, a 200 hard sight can be made up.  Once 'witnessed',  sights can be changed as needed - or one of Track's flip-up, folding leaf sights can be used - the fixed sight filed in for 100 or closer, and flip-up leaf for 200 - maybe Taylor should forget about the hawken- his .40 already has the correct sight :D.
Some of these Jaeger-type sights are rather nice looking and probably PC on some of the earlier guns liek Marshals. If not, who cares?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 05:45:04 AM by Daryl »

mike payne

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 02:39:44 AM »
I never have shot any of my flinters at 200 yds but I would be game. Hey I live in Buckingham co. VAshooter where is this range ?

Mike

VAshooter

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 11:12:32 PM »
Mike,

Go to the intersection of route 610 and route 782 in the city of New Canton, VA 23123 and follow route 782 to the end. You are at the range.

This is a private range. There is no gun club associated with it. 

VAshooter