Author Topic: Wheeler Refuge Deer  (Read 3986 times)

Offline Danny Jones

• Danny Jones - retired telecom eng.
Wheeler Refuge Deer
« on: January 21, 2011, 06:33:47 AM »

I have mentioned on other posts about the little mountain rifle I was building (and having all kinds of problems with) for my son to take to Wheeler Refuge in Alabama this week for their flintlock only hunt. Here is a photo he sent me this afternoon. After all of the effort spent sighting it in at an acceptable range he shot this little buck at 7 yards. His first flintlock deer and I am proud of him.  Danny
North Louisiana

joe bogle

Re: Wheeler Refuge Deer
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 03:11:19 PM »
hi danny; I live in the muscle shoals area about fifty miles east, have hunted wheeler a little years ago. used to be some monster racks in there. do you still have to bike or walk into most places?
   worth all the trouble(fun) to see your children enjoy the sport isn't it. sure some nice wood in the pretty little rifle

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 05:31:51 PM »
Any deer's a trophy with a flinter. Many people shoot a doe for their first deer as well - still a trophy.  It's a whole lot better eating than the one I got this year.  Ididn't even shoot a deer this year - track-soup is a mite thin, took 2 days to find one set of fresh tracks- lke the der vanished.

I say Bravo, Danny - and with your new flinter. Way to go!

greybeard

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 06:14:59 PM »
Nice buck and with a flinter as well. That picture will be posted in his memory bank forever.
My first M L deer was just a button buck and I have never tasted better venison before or since.    Congratulations are in order for the fine rifle & the nice buck/  Bob

Offline Danny Jones

• Danny Jones - retired telecom eng.
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 07:53:44 PM »
Thanks for the comments. Joe, we lived in Decatur, Al. for 12 years then transferred back to louisiana. We have a son still in Decatur. The youngest son (26 year old police officer) wanted to stay with his brother and hunt Wheeler. Wheeler Refuge is one of the few places around that allows deer hunting with bow or flintlock only. In 4 days my son only saw 3 other hunters. He saw a really big 10 point, a nice 8 point, and numerous smaller bucks but surprisingly only 1 doe. You are correct about access. All gates are closed prior to hunting season and the only way in is walking or bicycle. He walked and drug that deer out 1 1/4 miles on a small cart. It is a 4 point with 3 points on one side and around 140 lbs.. Wheeler has around 18,000 acres avaiable for hunting in rather narrow strips on both sides of the Tennesee River. I may have to go with him next year.  Danny
North Louisiana

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 05:43:00 AM »
Very Nice deer and rifle. He did good on it an you did great on the flinter congrats to you both :)
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning