Author Topic: Tennessee  (Read 9650 times)

chuck c.

Tennessee
« on: October 01, 2008, 07:37:24 PM »
I'm going to Tennessee next week and would like to see some things that would be of interest to a Tenn/Southern Mountain rifle enthusiast. The wife and daughter want to see Graceland and Nashville, not much interest on my part!

Offline T*O*F

Re: Tennessee
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 08:22:01 PM »
Chuck,
Not much of interest in West TN.  Most stuff is Civil War oriented.  If you happen to be downtown Memphis eat some dry rub BBQ at the famous Rendezvous restaurant.  They have a collection of original guns hanging on their walls.

Dixie Gun Works can be interesting, but its a couple hours further north.

A side trip to the Shiloh Battleground on your way to Nashville is interesting to all.

I live 20 miles east of Memphis and would invite you to stop by the shop and shoot the breeze, but I've got out of town company arriving.  Sorry......bad timing.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 08:26:43 PM »
Depends what part of the state you are in, but if you can get over toward Norris (right off I-75 north of Knoxville) the Museum of Appalachia is great.  They have some original mountain rifles, gunmaking equipment, some of Hacker Martins' equipment and rifles, I think about 25 or more log buildings, and thousands of other items on display from the region, from the 18th through 20th centuries.  Some great Native American artifacts and the big Virginia dagger shown in Madison Grant's book too (Knife "BK-1").  Food is pretty good too.

The Tennesee State Museum in Nashville used to have some nice things too - the silver mounted Baxter Bean pistols in particular.

I don't know what the status of Mansker's Station is at the moment - if the Museum there is open, they have Jud Brennan's copy of the Thomas Simpson/ Mansker rifle.

There are lots of others - Some of the guys who live down that way could probably give you better/ more tips.

Guy

chuck c.

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 09:45:44 PM »
Thanks TOF and Guy, these are the kind of things that I'm interested in! I'm a third generation Texan but both sides of my family came from very humble beginnings in Tennessee. Distance shouldn't be much of a problem. When you're used to living in Texas, it really surprises you how quickly that you can drive through one state and into another.

mike e

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 11:02:04 PM »
Doesn't Tip Curtis have a shop in Nashville?

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 12:24:35 AM »
Tip's place is definately worth a stop.  He's just off of I-65 north of Memphis.  He's in Cross Plains.  Give a call first to make sure he's there.  Phone is 615-654-4445.  His email is tipcurtis@bellsouth.net  Figure an hour minimum, and bring cash or check, as he don't take plastic.  HE'LL GIVE YOU THE GRAND TOUR.  It's one grand candy store, from finished guns, to in the white to parts sets to parts, and anything else related to M/Ling you could want.  I think the saying "If he doesn't have it you don't need it" applies.  Give yourself at least an hour or more.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 12:31:56 AM »
Bill,
Tip's Frontier Shop is just north of Nashville.  Mansker's station is right there too. 

The Museum of the Appalachia is well worth going to over by Knoxville.  I'm thinking maybe 2 1/2 hours drive from Nashville. 
http://www.museumofappalachia.org/

The Hermitage in Nashville is good.   Home of Andrew Jackson.
http://www.thehermitage.com/

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline RobertS

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 02:38:46 AM »
If you are traveling through Little Rock, there is a fairly new museum downtown that has a large collection of Bowie knives, and they have a few percussion rifles, I think, that were made in the area.  I think it may be the Arkansas State Museum, but not sure, but it is downtown and fairly easy to find. 

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 03:16:20 AM »
As mentioned above the tenn state museum in Nashville is well worth a stop.
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Offline Carper

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 04:51:19 AM »
It sure aint Tenn, but if you want to see a couple of great Bean rifles, a Baxter and a Russell and a host of hill rilfes go to the Crab Orchard Museum in Tazewell ,Va maybe an hour and a half north of Bristol,Tenn. The two Beans are worth a whole days ride in my opinion.  Johnny

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 05:26:57 AM »
Ken, yer right, someone mentioned barbecue, and my mind, and taste buds went to Memphis.  I'm still salivating at the thought.  Tip's North of Nashville.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Mike R

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 03:56:47 PM »
If you are traveling through Little Rock, there is a fairly new museum downtown that has a large collection of Bowie knives, and they have a few percussion rifles, I think, that were made in the area.  I think it may be the Arkansas State Museum, but not sure, but it is downtown and fairly easy to find. 

This is a 're-housing' of an old museum collection at the downtown Territorial Restoration park.  The whole area is a worthwhile trip, with another museum across the street in the old statehouse and several original ca. 1820s buildings.  The Bowie knife collection is one of the best in the world and has several very important knives in it. Unfortunately the Ark-made longrifles that used to be displayed were stored in a warehouse on my last visit to make room for a quilt exhibit!  The museum also has other Ark-made articles.  There is a 2-volume book out on Ark-made stuff and v.1 has a nice collection of longrifles and later period target MLers.  If you go and the rifles are still not out--complain--maybe if enough folks say so, they'll put them back out.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 06:36:39 PM »
It might be worth your while to drop by the Chicamauga battlefield museum just west of Lookout mountain/Chattanooga.
My son was there last year and told me they had a large selection of firearms predateing the civil war. According to him it was a historical collection.
We were supposed to go last spring to see it but I haven't had time to make the trip yet.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 11:17:20 PM »
The Chickamauga Battlefield Museum houses the Fuller collection of military arms.  355 guns beginning with a Brown Bess if memory serves me right. 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

chuck c.

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 04:08:51 AM »
Thanks a lot for the replies, it looks like it will be a great family trip.
Chuck

chuck c.

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 08:37:05 PM »
Thanks again! Tip Curtis is areal southern gentleman even if that stop did bite into my budget just a bit! If any new comers are looking to get into this sport and don't feel comfortable with building at this time he has some excellent rifles in the white at great prices. I purchased one of his locks and believe it or not I like it better than the Chamber's Late Ketland that I was planning on using!Tenn. State Museum was closed but I would recommend The Museum of Appalachia to every muzzle loading enthusiast. Cade's Cove in the Great Smokey Mountain National Park is also an awesome place to see!

wwpete52

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 11:34:28 PM »
Dixie Guns Works would be worth seeing.

Offline Jesse168

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2008, 12:02:03 AM »
I live in Memphis.
There are suppose to be a lot of early pistols at the PINK PALACE MUSEUM.
They are suppose to be stored in drawers and at times let people look at them.  But you have to make special request to see them.

Southeast of Memphis at Corinth, Miss. Jack Garner has his Tennessee Valley Manufacturing at 890 County Road 400 Phone # 662-286-5014.
Tennesseevalleymanufacturing.com

There is also Brighton Arms at Brighton, Tenn. just about 30 miles north of Memphis just off highway 51.  They handle all kinds of firearms and the walls are loaded with old guns of all kinds.

There is a Pawn shop next to St. Michael's Cathlac Curch just west of Graham on Summer Ave.  Their walls are covered with old guns from flintlock to WWII.  Yes for the right price some are for sale.  If you don't see it out ask because they keep a lot back in the safe.   

Now while you are riding around in Texas stop at Sweetwater, Texas.
A fellow by the name of J. Paul Turner (dead now) had the 3rd largest Winchester collection.  Most of it the last I heard is in glass cases in one of the downtown banks.

Jesse

Tennessee Hunter Safety Instructor since 1973
Desoto Lodge # 299 F&AM PM