Author Topic: Long Rifle Made By J Mason 50 Caliber Octagonal Barrel  (Read 6503 times)

Musclecar

Long Rifle Made By J Mason 50 Caliber Octagonal Barrel
« on: January 22, 2011, 06:44:54 PM »
Thanks in advance for any help. I appreciate any information provided. I have a few guns but was always interested in this rifle as it hung above the mantle for many many years. I know, I know, I will post pictures asap. I bought this long rifle from a friend of mine. The story is, it was bought in the 1960's at an antique shop.
  Ok, what I know is it measures 4' 7" long. My friend called it a percussion cap with a 50 caliber barrel. It has the name J Mason on the top of the barrel ahead of the firing mechanism. I am gonna gets pics up now if I can remember my photobucket login info. I am curious as to its age, value ( I know this could be a huge range based on condition and rarity), and authenticity. My friend said his Dad made the wooden dowel under the barrell so I know it is not original. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 07:49:36 AM by Musclecar »

Musclecar

Re: Long Rifle Made By J Mason 50 Caliber Octagonal Barrel
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 07:01:51 PM »

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 07:49:55 AM by Musclecar »

Offline Curt J

• member 2
Re: Long Rifle Made By J Mason 50 Caliber Hexagonal Barrel
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 07:22:17 PM »
Welcome to ALR!  This is definitely a Southern Mountain Rifle, or at least a rifle made by a gunsmith who learned the trade there, before moving elsewhere.  The architecture, hand-forged iron trigger guard, and walnut fullstock, are all typical. Jerry Noble lists several Masons in his Notes On Southern Long Rifles, Vol 1 , but none of them have the initial "J". Do you know where this rifle came from, by any chance?

Musclecar

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 07:56:20 PM »
They lived in Texas during that time so my guess is it was in an antique shop in Texas during the 1960's. Do any of its characteristics determine the age? Does it have much value in its current condition. I did buy it and hope I did not pay too much.

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 08:10:52 PM »
While the rifle is of southern origin.I belive the barrel started life on a New England gun made by John Mason.I have a New England rifle with the same stamped name on the barrel.Does the barrel have a straight taper??

Mitch

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 09:16:26 PM »
I agree with Tall Bear that this was probably a barrel salvaged from another gun and used by the builder of this rifle. I will take a guess at it being western NC or SW Virginia. I lean more toward NC.

Value depends on who and how bad they want it. Without seeing it in-hand I suspect between $700 and $1100. Looks like the trigger guard has been broken and brazed back.
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Musclecar

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 09:20:19 PM »
My friends father who purchased it in the 60's was a flight engineer for American and it could have come from anywhere. It all looks like it goes together. The trigger guard appears to have a screw missing. As far as repairs go, I have no idea what may have been done to it. Thanks for the replies. I welcome any input from other members as well.

Musclecar

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 09:22:06 PM »
One more question. What was the purpose of this gun? I am guessing this was not used for military regiment or defense. If not, then I guess it was for hunting. What did they hunt with it?

msmith

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 12:54:42 AM »
Sellers, has ...John M Mason Raleigh NC....1828, Plater, ( Bivins)...

BGC

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 03:10:00 AM »
Inside of the bore at the muzzle looks to be smooth.  The rifle could have been reamed out and made larger or made into a shotgun later in it's life.  It could also be possible that since the gun is of Southern origin that once the gun was reamed out, it might have served some Southern soldier till he was able to acquire a musket.  The Confederacy was a little short of muskets at the beginning of the Civil War. There was no need to hunt with that large caliber as at the time there wasn't any game that needed to be shot with such a large ball. Maybe black bear would have been the largest animal in the South. Although there were some larger calibers leaving the gunsmith's shop, I'd say that smaller calibers were the norm.

Musclecar

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 05:03:13 AM »
So, what year do you think it was made. Is this mid-1800's?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 05:03:34 AM by Musclecar »

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 07:37:41 AM »
Musclecar:  Your gun definitely looks of southern origin and I believe it was made in percussion not flint. I would say;circa - 1840.   Also it has an "octagon" barrel not hexagon. (no offense) ;)   Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Musclecar

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 07:50:48 AM »
Oh yea, 8 sides. duh.

Musclecar

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 06:51:52 PM »
Thanks for all of the replies. I now know much more than when I bought it.