Author Topic: Checking in!  (Read 7768 times)

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
Checking in!
« on: October 08, 2008, 09:09:29 PM »
Hey Friends!!
    Well I'm finishing up my second month at Warren Wilson College, and fall break is in just over a week.  Things have been really busy and I haven't had as much time as I'd hoped to keep up with the forum.  I've taken my carving tools out a few times, but blast, there's all that homework to be done  ::).  At my age, I'm the oldest freshman living on campus, but I'm making lots of great friends and connections.  The school has a "triad" program, where students have academics, work, and service projects.  My work crew is an office job at the moment, but next semester I'm applying to the blacksmith crew... Yep, the school has a blacksmith shop!  It's a tough crew to get on, but I've been doing workshops there this semester, and the crew was interested in my gunsmithing background, so we'll see.  I really really miss building rifles, chatting with the folks here, and I can't tell you how much I miss having a shop of my own!  Fall break is a week long and I know I'm going to be chipping some wood on a fowler that I stalled on over the summer.  Time's up, back to work!  I'll be checking in more regularly now that the intense first couple months are past. 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Leatherbelly

Re: Checking in!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 09:20:15 PM »
  Good to hear from you Eric. Lots of the guys here have been making all sorts of assumptions to what has happened to you! Most figure you've fallen into the lap of some gorgious blond! All the best in your stud ies! hehehe. The blacksmith shop would surely be an asset. Keep us posted.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 10:12:17 PM »
Eric.
I hated school start to finish, BUT on the other hand, I never went to school that had a blacksmith shop.  All things considered, sounds pretty sweet.  Savor every bit!  You only get to go around once...

Maybe they'll have a gunsmith shop soon,  Ha Ha!
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

George F.

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 12:37:03 AM »
Well it's good to hear from you. We all miss your input on the forum. But, I guess since you went to college, you might as well get 'educated'. Just don't turn into one of those liberal arts majors...just kidding. Do good kid!.... Geo.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 01:57:24 AM »
So, you didn't run off with a college girl afterall!! ;D

Apply yourself at college.  I never had the chance!! This gun building hobby won't go away (at least we hope not) and will be around when you graduate!

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 03:06:05 AM »
Eric,
Barbie and I are heading up to teach the Conner Prairie workshop tomorrow, and will be away until Oct. 20.  Would be delighted to have you for dinner one night after we get back.  Keep in touch.

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 03:22:54 AM »
Hey Eric,
Great to hear from you....... Things have gone to heck & a hand basket since you've been gone! Tom has gone wild ....look what he did to my "Avitar" it's mad I tell you ! Mad!
Jim
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 03:56:08 AM »
Eric!  Great to hear from you!!  We were beginning to wonder if you forgot about us...  When you get the chance, drop a line every once and a while.  It sounds like schools going great for you and the forge would be a great fit.  Best of luck and have fun!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 04:33:36 AM »
Eric,

Good to hear from you!  Make the most of the college experience.  It will serve you well for the rest of your life.  The gun making will wait and your talent will not wane.  Besides, I expect you will be forge welding a barrel before too long.  I would like mine about 48 inches long and 29 gauge, please.

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 05:06:04 AM »
Hi Eric!

I'm so pleased to hear all is going well.  Enjoy the college experience.  Savor every day.  It all goes by so quickly.  Take care, and keep us posted on how it all goes.

Best of luck to you, and watch out for those college girls!

Brian
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Online Karl Kunkel

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 05:13:35 AM »
Eric,

Thanks for reporting in.  Check back with us every once in a while.  Rumours we're running wild!  Keep us posted, we can re-live our youth through you.
Kunk

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 04:45:56 PM »
We're just a bunch of old guys who sort of wish sometimes we were young and free and imagine we'd do things differently- trouble is, the young don't know what we know now!
Andover, Vermont

keweenaw

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 08:06:23 PM »
Rich it's a good thing the young don't know what we know, they might just curl up and die.  Eric, college will go by so fast that when it's done it will seem like you just started last week. No matter how busy it seems, you should always look at the bright side - back when I was a freshman we had Monday, Wednesday, Friday classes and the dreaded Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday classes.  To make matters worse the first morning classes started at 7:20 am.  I think the 7:20 Saturday morning class time is one of the reasons I never did get very good at German.   Nothing could be much worse than Saturday morning classes, especially during hunting season!  Of course the Saturday classes in 1968 in central Pennsylvania were a lot better than the alternative of "Good Morning Viet Nam."

Tom

Offline kentucky bucky

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 08:21:58 PM »
Welcome back.  I checked out your school on the web and what I saw says alot about you for choosing it. It seems that this school might actually prepare students for the real world!  I hope you have a great experience there.

Tom

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 06:57:10 PM »
Great to hear from you Eric!! It looks like you made a very wise choice in schools.  I am sure you will have a wonderful experience. Ashville and surrounds is oneof our favorite places. Hey and with Chambers only a few miles down the road....

Please keep us up to date onn your adventures!
regards 
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 05:03:43 AM »
Glad to see you back Eric.  Enjoy the fun at college, it is good times!  I can't believe I've been out over ten years now.  Who put this ride into fast forward!?!  Just, make sure all that's smoking in the black smith shop is the coals!!  ;D  WW has an interesting botany program I hear! :o  Hey if you make it to dinner I might even cook a bit.   :P
Barbie Chambers-Phillips