Author Topic: Set triggers; from what?  (Read 3751 times)

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
Set triggers; from what?
« on: January 24, 2011, 01:14:45 AM »
Triggers & a guard from the Good estate.  Rather elegant & fully functional, but what did the come off of?
Roger B.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 06:11:45 AM by KyFlinter »
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Ian Pratt

Re: Set triggers; from what?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 01:59:16 AM »
 I think I saw something quite similar on a rifle in Shumway's booth out at Friendship a few years ago, maybe Curt Johnson can help?

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 03:06:04 AM »
Curt Johnson has a pair of fine percussion rifles with somewhat similar guards, with the "wound spring" type rear spur, by an Illinois maker. Hopefully he will get involved in this one.  Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 07:29:09 AM by Tanselman »

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 02:58:59 PM »
Shelby, the rifles you are thinking of were made by Edward Kline, Henry, Illinois.  Only one of them has a guard that is similar to this one.  That guard has an extra large bow for a gloved hand and is hand forged, although the hand forging is not obvious.  That rifle is pictured in the Library & Museum here on ALR.

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 08:21:41 PM »
It appears that these triggers have the "double bar" configuration - to me that indicates a finer quality or upper end gun.  Many old set triggers only have one bar which means you have to set the front and pull the front to release the sear from full cock.  It was a cheaper to do it and also a little dangerous at the same time.  Also these triggers seem to have an "English" flavor.       Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 03:40:41 AM »
I think Hugh is real close with the English flavor.   Gary

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 04:13:14 AM »
Actually, the only complete rifle I have seen with a trigger guard like this, besides my E Kline rifle, was a percussion jaeger rifle with a german address.  The double bar triggers are indeed a premium set of triggers, but can be found on high quality rifles of many different origins.