Author Topic: tough to clean  (Read 5940 times)

jim m

tough to clean
« on: October 09, 2008, 02:35:43 AM »
installed a coin silver front sight on my .45 so back to the range to sight it in. filled it down just a little and right back on. then during clean up, I cleaned and cleaned. man the fouling  was tough today. same load and lube but this was the hardest it has ever been to get clean. I also noticed at the range when cleaning between shots I got a lot more fouling than normal. I know humidity can play a role but this was still more than I've ever experienced. any ideas, or just chalk it up to oh well chittt happens.

Offline Gene Carrell

Re: tough to clean
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 02:54:03 PM »
I have noticed that when shooting Schutzen or especially Swiss powders that humidity as well as OA and barrel temperature will play a huge role in fouling. Low humidity and/or high temperatures will cause more "hard" fouling. I am told that GOEX is quite similar to Schutzen in that respect. Only Elephant seems to be "wet" enough to show little effect ( but, it sure is dirty!).  Elephant  fouling, while volumnous, is qiute soft.
Gene

Dave K

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 03:59:16 PM »
I would look to your lube as the problem. Yes, changes in humidty and temperature can have an affect, but not really much with a good lube. For me, and your experience may vary, but I never found anything that was good about Elephant as a gun powder. That stuff would cake in my barrels, no matter what I used as a lube. Now, I have used it only as a powder in my shotguns, but that stuff would prevent reloading after only a few shots. Back to the lube, make a change in lube. Some lubes just plain seem to cook in the barrel and cause a real problem. Your mileage may vary.

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 08:25:06 PM »
Caking and general fouling problems are elivated by using a thicker patch with better lubes. After reading Ned Robert's book back in 1972, I've never had a caking or fouling problem and that's WITHOUT wiping between shots.  I cannot understand how anyone could have these problems if using "the formula, ie:  ball .005 under bore size----; .018" to .022" denim patch----; spit or LHV or Hoppe's #9PLUS for lube
: A nicely radiused crown is necessary for easy loading of the above as is a short starter.

jim m

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 02:24:11 AM »
Daryl, your formula is exactly the combo I was using and the fouling was especially tough that day. haven't experienced it before or after

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 03:25:03 AM »
Interesting, Jim - I don't clean between shots and get no fouling buildup, nor have I since 1972, yet you got buildup when cleaning between shots?

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 10:24:30 AM »
What is LHV?
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

William Worth

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 03:59:06 PM »
LeHigh Valley [patch lube].

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 05:17:55 PM »
Daryl, your formula is exactly the combo I was using and the fouling was especially tough that day. haven't experienced it before or after

Jim,
I experienced the very same problem as you did at our monthly shoot on 10/5.  It's a .50 cal that I shoot a .495 ball with .018 ticking and LHV.  I had been shooting 2F Elephant or Schuetzen powder in it.  Ran out of Elephant and switched to Goex.  While I didn't have to clean between relays, it took me 16 patches to clean the blamed thing.  Previously it only took 3 maximum.

Normally the fouling has a greenish tinge to it.  This time the black mung just kept coming and coming before I got it clean.  The only difference was the switch to Goex.  Weather conditions weren't out of the ordinary.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

jim m

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 05:26:28 PM »
I'm not changing anything, just going to chalk it up as one of those things that just happens some time. once when wipping between shots I had so much fouling it was very hard to pull the rod and patch out of the barrel.

Daryl

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 03:52:01 AM »
GOEX is the only powder I've used in the last 20 years.