Author Topic: Black Powder granulation history of use on the frontier  (Read 5515 times)

Arnie Dowd

Black Powder granulation history of use on the frontier
« on: January 24, 2011, 06:48:45 PM »
Gentleman -  Collectively this forum brings together the most knowledge of the history and use of the American Longrifle available.  The subject of black powder and its granulation is seldom if ever discussed however I believe this is relevent particularly when we talk about availability anywhere on the frontier. I personally do not use a priming horn (which assumes more than one grade or granulation) for a finer grade of powder for the pan of a flintlock and I honestly doubt that such variations were available especially before 1800.  I can't tell you (or remember at my age !) whether there is 2F or # 3F or mixture thereof, in which ever horn I am using that day - either works just fine both for the primary charge as well as for ignition in the pan.  This brings us to the 2nd question -  are all or most of these small to medium small horns which are attributed to be priming horns really just pocket horns for a half-day horn or are they post 1800 when finer granulations became more available ?  We all know of course that many of these small horns were really salt horns - many small priming horns have no powder smell ?!
So guys have at it and I look forward (hope) for a lively discussion.

greybeard

Re: Black Powder granulation history of use on the frontier
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 07:23:10 PM »
Hi Arnie;   I still have a couple of tins of 4fg and quit using it years ago for priming. It's CIL from britain. Last time I tried it out was a long time ago when sighting in a half stock gun with an L&R Bailes lock.  I switched to GOI 2fg right from the flask and I swear it made the gun shoot faster.. Just my experience for what ever thats worth.  Bob

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 10:41:59 PM »
Gentleman -  ...   So guys have at it and I look forward (hope) for a lively discussion.

This forum hasn't usually gotten into subjects like this because the board has been, in my opinion, more directed toward gun building and the study of antique guns than to questions about arms use in the period. Some other forums have spent pages on the question of gunpowder and priming horns!

Here is a link to an article I wrote for Muzzle Blasts in 2002 that summarized the research and I don't know of anything new that would change these conclusions.

http://www.flintriflesmith.com/WritingandResearch/Published/priminghorns_mb.htm

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 01:18:06 AM »
I’d like to thank Gary for his information on the historic look at the evidence on priming powder and priming horns during the colonial period.  Gary’s research in colonial gun topics is second to none in my opinion. 

Regarding the lock testing he mentioned, Gary provided the motivation for the lock timing I did in the late 80s.  He mentored me through the steps of preparing the data and writing the article.

Since Gary’s article in 2002, I have updated the data I collected in 1987.  When Swiss powder became available at Friendship, I heard wonderful things about the speed of Swiss Null B, as well as Swiss 4fg.  I bought cans of each and decided to repeat the testing done in 1987.  This time I included:  Swiss Null B, Swiss 4fg, Early Goex 4fg, Late Goex 4fg, Goex 3fg, and Goex 2fg.  (The “early and late” Goex refers to before and after Goex left their PA plant.)

The new testing appeared in the April 2005 issue of Muzzle Blasts.  Twenty trials were done with each powder using the same lock that was used in the 1987 tests. The following lists the averages:

Swiss Null B ------.03931
Swiss 4fg --------.04127
Late Goex 4fg ----.04739
Early Goex 4fg----.0486
Goex 3fg ---------.05951
Goex 2fg ---------.06978

The complete article and raw data can be found at the following link:
http://www.blackpowdermag.com/featured-articles/priming-powder-timing.php

Had they been available 1987, the Swiss powders would have been an interesting addition to the JHAT article.

I agree completely with Gary in all historical aspects of his article, but felt I should provide the most recent timing tests.

Best regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Arnie Dowd

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 05:15:33 AM »
Gary -  Thanks for the copy of your article for all to read and "Thanks" to a much more scholarly approach to the subject than my experience allowed even though we came up with the same answer  :)  I am sure there are many who have never read your article so touching on the subject was worthwhile and informative.
Thanks Again,  Arnie

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 06:28:15 PM »
Arnie,
You are most welcome.
Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

doug

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 11:49:07 PM »
   I still have a couple of tins of 4fg and quit using it years ago for priming. It's CIL from britain. Last time I tried it out was a long time ago when sighting in a half stock gun with an L&R Bailes lock. 

Just to nit pick but CIL, in Canada stands for Canadian Industries Limited, I think now out of business.  If the powder was British I wonder if it was Curtis and Harvey and being imported and marketed by CIL.  In the 60s and 70s CIL manufactured and sold smokeless ammunition

cheers Doug

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 03:50:05 AM »
I remember the CIL black powder of the 1970's and it was Curtis & Harvey from GB.  Also the granulation's were a little finer compared to US granulation's - 3f of C&H was almost like 4f American made. However it was an excellent burning powder and fast!
H.T.